Honda Mower Carb Issue?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My mother and stepfather have a Honda 160 series mower. I am being told that it is 'surging' when idling without the deck engaged. When they engage the blades, the surge goes away. It sounds like a carb issue to me. I've worked on a lot of stuff, but never taken apart a mower carb before. Part of me is thinking about just putting up my Gen 5 G34 with the Delta Point Pro 2MOA RDS up here for sale, and taking the proceeds to buy them a really nice electric mower and just forget about any future issues. I've offered to buy them a lawn mowing service in the past but they still want to do it themselves, which I can appreciate.

What say you OSA? Is there a good small engine shop around here in the OKC/Moore/Norman area than does carb work for a decent price (quickly as well, lol), or should I just alleviate any future hassle and get them something new?

I haven't put 200 rounds through that G34 since I bought it new last year. The plan was to use it in GSSF, but I haven't been able to go to any indoor leagues or practice matches for quite a while now for one reason or another. The thought of letting it go doesn't seem to hurt as much as I initially thought it would.

Any advice would be appreciated.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My mother and stepfather have a Honda 160 series mower. I am being told that it is 'surging' when idling without the deck engaged. When they engage the blades, the surge goes away. It sounds like a carb issue to me. I've worked on a lot of stuff, but never taken apart a mower carb before. Part of me is thinking about just putting up my Gen 5 G34 with the Delta Point Pro 2MOA RDS up here for sale, and taking the proceeds to buy them a really nice electric mower and just forget about any future issues. I've offered to buy them a lawn mowing service in the past but they still want to do it themselves, which I can appreciate.

What say you OSA, is there a good small engine shop around here in the OKC/Moore/Norman area than does carb work for a decent price (quickly as well, lol), or should I just alleviate any future hassle and get them something new?

I haven't put 200 rounds through that G34 since I bought it new last year. The plan was to use it in GSSF, but I haven't been able to go to any indoor leagues or practice matches for quite a while now for one reason or another. The thought of letting it go doesn't seem to hurt as much as I initially thought it would.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Man I have never heard of many issues with a Honda mower. Ive only changed the sell propel belt in 10 years an it turned out it just need the cable adjusted on the drive system. I have never had an engine problem is the air filter clogged?

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man I have never heard of many issues with a Honda mower. Ive only changed the sell propel belt in 10 years an it turned out it just need the cable adjusted on the drive system. I have never had an engine problem is the air filter clogged?
I asked and they said it wasn't. I was also told they just put a new spark plug in it as well trying to fix the issue.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think I'm going to put the G34 in the classifieds. If someone wants it, it'll make my decision pretty easy at that point!

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I asked and they said it wasn't. I was also told they just put a new spark plug in it as well trying to fix the issue.
Maybe try some sea foam in the gas do they use Sta-bil in their gas? i have always found Honda motors to be almost indestructible. 10 years on mine and its never failed to start on the first pull and run flawlessly.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe try some sea foam in the gas do they use Sta-bil in their gas? i have always found Honda motors to be almost indestructible. 10 years on mine and its never failed to start on the first pull and run flawlessly.
I hadn't heard of Sea Foam before. I'll grab some for them and give it a shot. I appreciate the info. I don't think they use Sta-Bil, but my other concern was the use of ethanol gasoline in it over the past few years. I wouldn't think it'd be great for those little motors, but what do I know!

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Take the carbs out and clean the heck out of them with carb spray. Be sure and clean the cup if it has one. If you can get to the jet, same thing.
If it surges, it's probably starving for air or fuel somewhere. My opinion and I know zero but I hope it helps. Honda's are good engine's so I think it's an easy fix.
With the crap gas we get now, it sounds like it may be gummed up.
Let us know

Latest posts

Top Bottom