Honey Locust Thorns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Today while cleaning some scrub behind my Mom's house, I managed to jab a pretty big thorn into my elbow. The thorn was an old one, about 4" long, and I'm guessing it went in about 1/4". It doesn't feel like part of it broke off, but it's been a few hours and now I'm starting to feel it. A few hours ago, I happened to look down and notice that another one had jabbed clean through the sole of my boot; I'm thankful that it didn't end up in my foot.

Any treatment recommendations, other than 2 aspirin and copious amounts of medicinal alcohol?

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Today while cleaning some scrub behind my Mom's house, I managed to jab a pretty big thorn into my elbow. The thorn was an old one, about 4" long, and I'm guessing it went in about 1/4". It doesn't feel like part of it broke off, but it's been a few hours and now I'm starting to feel it. A few hours ago, I happened to look down and notice that another one had jabbed clean through the sole of my boot; I'm thankful that it didn't end up in my foot.

Any treatment recommendations, other than 2 aspirin and copious amounts of medicinal alcohol?

Those things are the Devil. They'll even puncture off road tires.

I recommend George Dickel and holy water.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had em stuck in me several times. My treatment is usually to squeeze til a satisfactory amount of bleeding has occurred and then continue like it never happened. I do this treatment for wasp stings too. I usually forget it happened by the next day.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you’re not sure if the tip broke off in the puncture, take a small slice of potato and use athletic tape to tape it over the puncture when you go to bed. The potato will draw the thorn to the surface. If you don’t get the thorn out, it usually doesn’t get infected but will be sore for a long time while it works it’s way out.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I swung on a covey of quail that flushed several years back and felt a jab at the side of my knee but in the shooting mode, ignored it until feeling something wet on my leg and a burning. Saw blood from a hole and it quit after awhile.
A couple weeks later it still burned like heck and finally got hard to walk on that leg. The Dr had an xray done and about 3/4" of thorn was still in the leg and was working its way deeper into the knee joint. The Doc gave it a local and pulled it out. No further problems.
I've since been stuck a few times without breaking off and it sure burns like there is something on it that contributes to the pain.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been cleaning up my dad's old place and it's overrun with those.
Welders gloves and a Stihl gas pole pruner is all I got.
Can't get close enough with a chain saw.

I love trees but I hate those.
Have a lot of them on one place. Since the limbs are low growing, I take the tractor with front loader and lift up the limbs while putting forward pressure on the trunk and then cut with the saw sometimes on the knees. Treat the stump with Tordon RTU.

Latest posts

Top Bottom