Hooking Up Three Phase Genie To 220V Well

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Has any of you folks wired a generator to a submersible well pump? I just ordered a Honda 8900watt gen to run my pump and house should I lose electricity. It’s tri furl, gasoline LPG and nat’l gas. I did buy a 60 Amp circuit box, breakers so far. I’m trying to figure out what else I need to buy. Wiring 10 ga and probably a transfer switch? I’m thinking a manual switch. Any opinions are appreciated.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My well pump is plugged into an outlet in the well house. If I lose power, I simply wheel my generator over to the well house and run an extension cord to the pump. Voila. I only run the generator long enough to get water when I need it, though.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has any of you folks wired a generator to a submersible well pump? I just ordered a Honda 8900watt gen to run my pump and house should I lose electricity. It’s tri fuel, gasoline LPG and nat’l gas. I did buy a 60 Amp circuit box, breakers so far. I’m trying to figure out what else I need to buy. Wiring 10 ga and probably a transfer switch? I’m thinking a manual switch. Any opinions are appreciated.
You new generator should have two receptacles. One for 220 and the other for 110. If not it should have a switch to change voltages.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You sure the generator is three phase? It would be unusual to find one that size for residential use. But, you could power the pump just fine with a three phase generator.
Depending on the output voltage of the generator is truly a 3 phase.
I suspect he is asking what is called a Single phase generator that is actually dual phase in reality.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I've got an old 3phase 1960's general international 14 inch table saw that my cousin keeps telling me to do this with in my shop. I just don't go through that much wood.

Latest posts

Top Bottom