Hornady ‘New Dimension’ Custom Grade Dies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m needing to get a new set of 6.5 CM dies, all my dies are Hornady, but I’m fine with any that work good? Are RCBS dies better?
As for the Hornady, can someone tell me the difference between the Hornady regular custom grade dies, and the “new dimension” custom grade dies?
Will they still work for my target and hunting loads? And do I need them?

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m needing to get a new set of 6.5 CM dies, all my dies are Hornady, but I’m fine with any that work good? Are RCBS dies better?
As for the Hornady, can someone tell me the difference between the Hornady regular custom grade dies, and the “new dimension” custom grade dies?
Will they still work for my target and hunting loads? And do I need them?

I can’t answer your specific question.
Redding and Forster have always been my preference. But even with Redding there are several variations in dies/sets. It depends on application and features. I just bought a 6.5 CM Redding set that includes both full length and neck sizing dies to cover a wider variety of situations for me.

Many things factor on on rifle dies. Autoloader? Bolt gun? Reusing your own brass only from/for the same gun? Target shooting 200 yards or 1000 yards.

Here is an article I saved recently.

https://gundigest.com/gear-ammo/reloading/choosing-the-best-reloading-dies

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can’t answer your specific question.
Redding and Forster have always been my preference. But even with Redding there are several variations in dies/sets. It depends on application and features. I just bought a 6.5 CM Redding set that includes both full length and neck sizing dies to cover a wider variety of situations for me.

Many things factor on on rifle dies. Autoloader? Bolt gun? Reusing your own brass only from/for the same gun? Target shooting 200 yards or 1000 yards.

Here is an article I saved recently.

https://gundigest.com/gear-ammo/reloading/choosing-the-best-reloading-dies
Single stage, bolt gun, mostly new or once fired from mine, some once fired I bought from folks on here.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What happened to the old set of dies you had?
Or did you have any for that 6.5?

My first choice in dies has always been Lee.
Some people toss stones at Lee dies but I have been served well for a long time with them.
Get the load dialed in and I get great groups with ammo I make with Lee products.
My presses are also Lee.
.223 Savage Axis shot picture below.
60gr V-Max 100 Yards LC 13 cases Varget powder. Tasco 3-9 scope.
Lee FLS die. And Lee bullet seater die, cases trimmed with Lee stuff.

That pencil barrel rifle is stupid accurate though.

223-more-testing-100-yards-lc-13-001-jpg.52571

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm an RCBS fan, especially for the money. I also like Lyman and Redding. I think I have dies from nearly every manufacturer. I avoid Lee and the later versions of Hornady. YMMV

Latest posts

Top Bottom