Hornady 150 gr sst need info on this

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone ever reload any of these for deer hunting I keep finding conflicting info on it on whether or not it’s a good round or not. I’m going to shoot it out of 24” barrel 1-10 twist 300 win mag. Some people swear by ballistic tips some cuss them or anyone have a sure fire bullet and load?

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I did some research on this bullet last year. As I remember many who use that bullet successfully say the impact velocity needs to be @ or below 2900 fps for the round to do it's job optimally. The recipe I was sold on was 150 grain SST, 30 thou off the lands with winchester large rifle primers 61.2 grains of imr 4895 at 3150 fps @ the muzzle, puts it right around 2850 @100yrd.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It’s supposed to perform like a lead tip but with a plastic tip for aerodynamics I shot one this year with a Browning BXR rapid expansion factory round that I got with the rifle from a OSA member and new friend it has a plastic tip and done an awesome job but going to reload for it now

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
As I understand it, the tip is dual purpose. 1st as you stated it assists in the aerodynamic effects of the round B.C. 2nd as I understand is the tip is the expansion catalyst of the round upon impact, driving rapidly into the bullet causing expansion. The latter leads to the comment on fps at impact as too fast and nada......

ef9turbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know it's not what you're asking, but I have used the 6.5 Grendel 123grn SST for deer and it performed well. Entered, turned the inside into jello and stopped at the other side and stuck in the hide. It transferred energy well. I haven't weighed the bullet yet, but I would guess it kept most of its weight.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you will be disappointed in the 150 SST at 300 win mag velocity, it's too frangible and will likely come unglued and make a mess. I've used them and I'm not a Barnes fan on deer sized game. There is certainly no real need to use a 30 cal. TTSX on deer, they just aren't that hard to kill. I'd load a 165 or 180 Nosler Accubond and call it a day (honestly, I wouldn't be afraid to use a 165 or 180 Nosler Ballistic Tip)......heck, even a 180 Remington corelok would be fine for deer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom