Hornady 165 Grain SST in 308, what are you pushing this bullet to?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Going to work a load up soon with this bullet. This will be used in my 18" 1-10 M5 barrel. Hornady factory loading with this bullet is 2850 out of a 24" barrel, so it's smoking!

Vihta Vuorti only has a max velocity published at 2680 with a 24" barrel.
Hornady maxes at 2600 and 2700 FPS
Looks like Tac can get me close to 2700 as well looking at Western and Hodgdon data.

Anyone loaded this bullet and had good results?

Thanks in advance OSA

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t know how these two bullets compare dimensionally but Alliant Powder has 2000-MR that will push a Speer 165 grain BTSP safely to 2840 fps. Naturally you would want to compare the Hornady SST to the Speer BTSP dimensionally but I would bet one could safely and taking it slowly load the Hornady with this powder to 2,840 fps (24” barrel).
https://www.alliantpowder.com/reloa...&weight=165&shellid=80&bulletid=188&bdid=1042

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry, not the 165gr SST, but I'm 99% sure it will be an excellent performer down to 2K FPS (and probably even a bit lower) impact velocity. I've had very acceptable accuracy results with the 150 SST out of an 18" barrel too.

I've done the TAC thing for my 18" Wilson Combat barrel in my M5 build, and maybe my 18" Criterion barreled M5 (that rifle and load data are with my father). Just make sure that when you're pushing velocity (and pressure) with a double-based or ball powder that you're doing it in conditions you'll be hunting in...or do it in warm weather as a precaution.

Not trying to insult your intelligence if you already know this...but powders like TAC are well over 1FPS velocity change per degree in ambient temperature change. Pressure corresponds accordingly.

Some factory loadings like Superformance use a proprietary propellant mix that allow for velocities that us handloaders can't obtain without going ridiculously overpressure.

Best of luck.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry, not the 165gr SST, but I'm 99% sure it will be an excellent performer down to 2K FPS (and probably even a bit lower) impact velocity. I've had very acceptable accuracy results with the 150 SST out of an 18" barrel too.

I've done the TAC thing for my 18" Wilson Combat barrel in my M5 build, and maybe my 18" Criterion barreled M5 (that rifle and load data are with my father). Just make sure that when you're pushing velocity (and pressure) with a double-based or ball powder that you're doing it in conditions you'll be hunting in...or do it in warm weather as a precaution.

Not trying to insult your intelligence if you already know this...but powders like TAC are well over 1FPS velocity change per degree in ambient temperature change. Pressure corresponds accordingly.

Some factory loadings like Superformance use a proprietary propellant mix that allow for velocities that us handloaders can't obtain without going ridiculously overpressure.

Best of luck.
Superformance is available to the reloader. I'm using it to reload 30-30 but have yet to put it across the chrony to check speed. New to me caliber so I'll have to use factory data for speeds to compare to.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Best of luck.
I appreciate it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom