Hornady LNL AP Tips/Tricks/Tweaks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hornady announced the Control Panel for 2014. Looks pretty sweet. I'll definitely be adding one of these to my press.
http://www.hornady.com/reloading/new-products
lnl-control-panel-squarecut-01.jpg

camcow2002

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just started reloading, with the basic LNL setup. I've had problems keeping the powder measure right , but I think I've got that fixed, but now I'm getting crushing on some cases. I'm using lead bullets from J&K with a lee taper crimp seating combination die, could the die be my culprit or something else. If so ie there a good seating die that isn't free floating (I've already fond lead and grease buildup can be a shrinking factor on the rounds).

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not a fan of the combo seat/crimp dies. I've not used the Lee combo dies, but crushes cased could be from too much bell in the case or too much crimp. If too much bell, when the case get to the crimp stage it catches on the lip of the bell and crushes the case. If too much crimp, it's crimping into the bullet until it can't crimp anymore and the pressure crushes the case.
The Hornady dies used a roll crimp which are no bueno for pistol calibers. I would always get crushed cases with that die.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Typically flare just enough to cup the bullet so it stays on the case with no help. Probably less than you think. You really want case tension not crimp to hold the bullet in place. Crimp should only remove the bell.
The Hornady PTX comes in 2 sizes the .451 and .452. Pretty sure the .452 is for lead and .451 for jacketed. They had problems with those initially and released another size to accommodate lead. Some people still claim they suck even at the larger diameter.
Might look at the powder funnels PTX, it does all calibers and is pretty cheap. You can also back off the crimp portion of the Lee die using it only as a seater. Then just use a plain Lee $12 taper crimp die in station 5.
Here is a pretty good tutorial on the Hornady PTX setup.
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=308430

Edit: The link says .452 is for .45 LC.

Thanks I actually tried the opposet with the flare. I'm using the hornady flare tool in the powder dropper. How far into the case should it go on .45 acp.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom