Horse Deaths

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do they really have to make hay into a processed food?
In the truest sense, it is a processed food, but it does have a use. Basically, it’s just hay that is ground and pressed into cubes. I feed cubes to my horses during the winter to supplement the prairie grass hay. Alfalfa is to rich for donkeys and mules which is one of the reasons that I don’t put out alfalfa hay. The other reason is that it is pretty expensive so the cost can be offset by feeding a certain ration of cubes to the horses instead of just letting them free graze. The problem that has occurred with the recalled cubes is because some sort of animal(s) had died in the hayfield, and the animals were baled into the hay. This problem can just as easy occur in hay bales, but it probably wouldn’t have killed so many horses. On more than one occasion, I’ve found dead snakes in my hay bales.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In the truest sense, it is a processed food, but it does have a use. Basically, it’s just hay that is ground and pressed into cubes. I feed cubes to my horses during the winter to supplement the prairie grass hay. Alfalfa is to rich for donkeys and mules which is one of the reasons that I don’t put out alfalfa hay. The other reason is that it is pretty expensive so the cost can be offset by feeding a certain ration of cubes to the horses instead of just letting them free graze. The problem that has occurred with the recalled cubes is because some sort of animal(s) had died in the hayfield, and the animals were baled into the hay. This problem can just as easy occur in hay bales, but it probably wouldn’t have killed so many horses. On more than one occasion, I’ve found dead snakes in my hay bales.
The problem we used to have in Wyoming were dead field mice in our bales.

Latest posts

Top Bottom