Horse Slaughter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Regina

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm biased on this discussion, obviously, because I work with leather. Cordovan leather is the hands down best leather for just about any leather product you can dream up.

I personally wouldn't take a horse to be slaughtered, but for others the option should be there. With it no longer being done in the US horses are very inhumanely treated. They now are crammed into double-decker trailers where a large portion of them die by the time they arrive in Canada or Mexico. So US horses are still being slaughtered, we just don't regulate how it's done. The Mexican slaughter houses are incredibly inhumane, and the Canadian slaughter houses are over worked so horses aren't as humanely slaughtered as they're regulated to be.

It's also made "rescues" over crowded and bring into question if many rescues are helping or hindering in a horse's best interest.

I think most folk within animal rights groups are well intentioned, they are just a bit naive and don't think out the effects of their movement.

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since the horse slaughter stopped three years ago more horses are starving to death in inadequate pastures all across the country.

I have an opinion on lots of things and this is at the top of my list. You hit the nail on the head. Some folks think they are doing horses a favor, but they're not. When a person doesn't think enough of his livestock to feed and care for them, then that livestock is in for a tough life. No one else will take a mature, but untrained nag, so it's just stuck with what and who it's got.

Long story short, it's better for everyone including the horses, to let them go a merciful death instead of basically being neglected to death.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With it no longer being done in the US horses are very inhumanely treated. They now are crammed into double-decker trailers where a large portion of them die by the time they arrive in Canada or Mexico. .

Horse's are not allowed to be transported in double-decker trailer. also regulations prohibit the transportation of a horse that is

unable to bear weight on four limbs,
unable to walk unassisted, blind in both eyes,
a foal under 6 months of age, and
a pregnant mare that is likely to foal (give birth) during the trip.
Also horses can not be confined to the trailer for more than 24 hrs

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am a horse owner. We need a regulated kill market for equines in this country.
There are choices that need to be made when horses are unsound or loose the ability to live at full potential. If you've ever watched a throwaway, elderly horse gumming grain at a "rescue" you may be able to understand why it may be more humane to let that animal finish the circle as a productive food source.

In the big ranch areas... Horses are still turned out in the fall.... Usually with the expectation that a long time partner may not see the next spring.
I'd rather seem my old horse feed the wolves when his time come instead of finishing up in a bare lot with ringbone and bad hooves killing him slowly.

AMEN

Since the horse slaughter stopped three years ago more horses are starving to death in inadequate pastures all across the country.

and AMEN

septic_shock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My family has run a horse auction for over 65 years. I can tell you that even though the practice of horse slaughter has stopped here in the U.S., horses are still being bought for meat processing. However, now instead of being humanely slaughtered here in a well regulated US facility, they are being shipped to Mexico to be processed. From what I hear, the conditions are not ideal or humane to say the least.

This tends to happen a lot when people have a knee-jerk reaction and jump into a "cause". Sure they feel good about what they have done, and Marilynn Pickens, oops, I mean "people" get to talk about all the good that they have done for society during their dinner parties. Unfortunately, they often, as in this case, make the situation much worse.

Regina

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Horse's are not allowed to be transported in double-decker trailer. also regulations prohibit the transportation of a horse that is

unable to bear weight on four limbs,
unable to walk unassisted, blind in both eyes,
a foal under 6 months of age, and
a pregnant mare that is likely to foal (give birth) during the trip.
Also horses can not be confined to the trailer for more than 24 hrs

I just googled, "horses killed in double decker trailer." It may be "regulated" to be against the law ... but so are felons having firearms.

Latest posts

Top Bottom