Hot Water Heater Repair

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would replace, you’ll have a couple hundred in a new valve and still have an old tank, unless the valve is under warranty there’s not really a point in replacing it by itself
A water heater tank in good. Condition can last another 10 years...does that 700 include the cost of installation?

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like I need to get my water heater fixed, it won't heat up the water. I've got a Bradford White with a Honeywell gas valve and the gas valve is giving me a 'check temp probe' error which is part of the gas valve. I can reset the failure code, light the pilot and get the burner to start heating the water but it faults again after about 15 minutes. I'm thinking the gas valve or some part of it. Looks like anywhere from $200 - $300 for the part, online.

Locke won't sell me the part (liability) but will sell me a new tank, called a couple other places with no luck there either. Just over $700 for the water heater.

Having a hard time finding anywhere that sells water heater parts, anyone have a place they use?

Regarding the water heater, it's 10 years old and I have not kept up with any user maintenance, our water is a bit hard and can build up some calcium deposits on faucets.
We've been in the house 26 years, this is the third water heater to give out and 10 years is getting on the edge of just waiting for it to die off from what I've read.

Big question - any recommendations on either replacing or repairing?

Thanks.
I wouldn't even replace the whole assembly my dude. I would just replace the thermocouple assembly. You can get them on Amazon for Bradford white. Way cheaper than replacing the whole assembly. Does the burner light up when you reset the code?

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it was the thermocouple it wouldn’t stay lit, also on the valves with a light indicator that’s a millivolt generator to power the light not technically a thermocouple
Well, I've had it where the thermocouple was bad and the water heater would shut off after like 10 minutes. For only 10 buc I figure it's worth a shot...

I heard the newer bradford whites use batteries for its control box as opposed to the old millivolt design...

I'm always open minded, if I can learn something from another plumber I will. But if I were in his shoes I'd be trying to squirrel my way out of paying 1k on a new w/h...

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know that there is a typical thermocouple with this water heater due to the gas valve controller. I talked with a plumber I just recently had in my house for some gas logs, he's going to pick up a gas valve for me and I'm going to try that route. His install price for a new tank is in the $1600 range and to just replace the gas valve, it's about 1/4 of that, $400-500. Part should be around $200 for his price and I should be able to swap it out myself.
Thanks for the inputs and offers for help (Plumber guy).

stanley ferguson

Marksman
Reaction score
Looks like I need to get my water heater fixed, it won't heat up the water. I've got a Bradford White with a Honeywell gas valve and the gas valve is giving me a 'check temp probe' error which is part of the gas valve. I can reset the failure code, light the pilot and get the burner to start heating the water but it faults again after about 15 minutes. I'm thinking the gas valve or some part of it. Looks like anywhere from $200 - $300 for the part, online.

Locke won't sell me the part (liability) but will sell me a new tank, called a couple other places with no luck there either. Just over $700 for the water heater.

Having a hard time finding anywhere that sells water heater parts, anyone have a place they use?

Regarding the water heater, it's 10 years old and I have not kept up with any user maintenance, our water is a bit hard and can build up some calcium deposits on faucets.
We've been in the house 26 years, this is the third water heater to give out and 10 years is getting on the edge of just waiting for it to die off from what I've read.

Big question - any recommendations on either replacing or repairing?

Thanks.
a friend told me he had that same problem in okc, but was because of the city codes they would not sell to him, so he went to chickasha and the locke supply in chickasha sold to him

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hot water again.
Picked up the gas valve yesterday R&R of the valve was pretty simple, that was the easy part. Had to crack the water line out to get the tank to drain and then couldn't get it stop leaking when trying to tighten. Fiddled with that for way too long and then ended up replacing both water lines going to the water heater, which wouldn't have been much of an issue but my house has polybutelene. Once I had the parts in hand it wasn't too bad but a pain overall, my plumber was a big help on suggestions. Hopefully no issues for a while.
Thanks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom