Hot Water Heater Repair

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like I need to get my water heater fixed, it won't heat up the water. I've got a Bradford White with a Honeywell gas valve and the gas valve is giving me a 'check temp probe' error which is part of the gas valve. I can reset the failure code, light the pilot and get the burner to start heating the water but it faults again after about 15 minutes. I'm thinking the gas valve or some part of it. Looks like anywhere from $200 - $300 for the part, online.

Locke won't sell me the part (liability) but will sell me a new tank, called a couple other places with no luck there either. Just over $700 for the water heater.

Having a hard time finding anywhere that sells water heater parts, anyone have a place they use?

Regarding the water heater, it's 10 years old and I have not kept up with any user maintenance, our water is a bit hard and can build up some calcium deposits on faucets.
We've been in the house 26 years, this is the third water heater to give out and 10 years is getting on the edge of just waiting for it to die off from what I've read.

Big question - any recommendations on either replacing or repairing?

Thanks.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did you try Johnstone supply ?
Wades appliance in Moore.
Plumbing Supply and parts 1301 S may OKC
The owner just died of Covid but I think someone else is running it.
They sell used parts and new. And gas valves etc.

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would replace it. Lowes was cheaper than locke last year when I replaced mine. I spent about 500 on a gas heater but I'm sure they've went up like everything else.

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did you try Johnstone supply ?
Wades appliance in Moore.
Plumbing Supply and parts 1301 S may OKC
The owner just died of Covid but I think someone else is running it.
They sell used parts and new. And gas valves etc.

No and no on Wades and Johnstone. Plumbing Supply is closed until further notice. I'm only guessing but may be tied to liability, as folks are working with gas connections.

Looking like a replacement unless I get a plumber to buy the part for me, but replacement likely is the better path.

Plumber guy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bradford parts have to be bought at Locke supply, my honest opinion on them would be get away from Bradfords all together, they don’t last long and Locke supply is not a good place to do business. I prefer the a o smith tanks from Winnelson not lowes, lowes Carrie’s tanks that are bought out of country, made in Mexico, central Winnelson in okc also is best customer service that I know of. I’ve put in thousands of tanks and Bradford white in my experience is of the lowest quality

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What's you opinion, repair or replace in this case?

Depends on the condition of your water heater. If the water heater is all rusted out I'd replace the whole thing. If the water heater itself is in good condition I'd just replace the valve. Valve replacements are easy

Latest posts

Top Bottom