House flooded and going to a tankless water heater

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wife and I have replaced 3 water heaters over the years. That's great for being in the same home for over 30 years. This time It was just too much for me to do. It's a gas heater and had so much crap in the bottom, can't drain. Thank the Lord my wife was home when this one went. I was out of town and I called to get a buddy to come shut the water off because my wife couldn't get the tap closed at the tank. It's a 40 gallon tank and a ton of water had soaked our carpet in the hall, closet and one bedroom. The last one I put in myself and had to have some of the HVAC stuff pulled to fit the tank in. It was a 17" wide and still had to remove the door frame. Ha. No way I could manhandle another one in or carry this one out. They don't make them that small anymore (width) and I just don't have it in me to do the work myself.
Hard to find a plumber anymore that's not backed up till ......well....till they get to it. But I called one I knew and told him to put a tankless one in. Gas, venting and electricity very handy as well as the positioning of the water in/out. Made sure he picked up a good one and told him to get after it. A bit pricy buy it will good for a very long time and save money as well. It's a good thing for my wife and worth it in the long run.
He brought the unit by just now and I had taken the double door frame/doors and trim down. Though about going ahead and do the disconnect but wife said NO because she knows I'd try to move the tank (still full of water) out. Smart gal. Anyway, it should be a quick fix and one less thing for her to worry about in the future.
Plus.....I think it's cool

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dang it, it is always something. I have thought about those also, mine are getting older and someday I most likely will have the same problems. Mine would have to be total electric, so it will be a little more expensive to install. Hope yours works out easy and you are happy with it.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dang it, it is always something. I have thought about those also, mine are getting older and someday I most likely will have the same problems. Mine would have to be total electric, so it will be a little more expensive to install. Hope yours works out easy and you are happy with it.
I think there cool. I don't know about the electric install but I think they save enough money (quickly) to pay for the cost.
This from a guy that's never owned one but I have looked passionately at them at Lowes.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wife and I have replaced 3 water heaters over the years. That's great for being in the same home for over 30 years. This time It was just too much for me to do. It's a gas heater and had so much crap in the bottom, can't drain. Thank the Lord my wife was home when this one went. I was out of town and I called to get a buddy to come shut the water off because my wife couldn't get the tap closed at the tank. It's a 40 gallon tank and a ton of water had soaked our carpet in the hall, closet and one bedroom. The last one I put in myself and had to have some of the HVAC stuff pulled to fit the tank in. It was a 17" wide and still had to remove the door frame. Ha. No way I could manhandle another one in or carry this one out. They don't make them that small anymore (width) and I just don't have it in me to do the work myself.
Hard to find a plumber anymore that's not backed up till ......well....till they get to it. But I called one I knew and told him to put a tankless one in. Gas, venting and electricity very handy as well as the positioning of the water in/out. Made sure he picked up a good one and told him to get after it. A bit pricy buy it will good for a very long time and save money as well. It's a good thing for my wife and worth it in the long run.
He brought the unit by just now and I had taken the double door frame/doors and trim down. Though about going ahead and do the disconnect but wife said NO because she knows I'd try to move the tank (still full of water) out. Smart gal. Anyway, it should be a quick fix and one less thing for her to worry about in the future.
Plus.....I think it's cool

Is your gas line big enough to run a tank less? I looked at one the last time on mine but guy at the store thought I'd probably need new line ran given house is circa 80s model. Never confirmed it was true.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is your gas line big enough to run a tank less? I looked at one the last time on mine but guy at the store thought I'd probably need new line ran given house is circa 80s model. Never confirmed it was true.
Gas line is big enough because that's something I looked at when they first came out. Fortunately the only things I run off of gas is the water heater and starter gas for the fireplace. Plumber also said I had plenty.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I started the tankless journey in January.

Are you a solid slab or crawlspace?

It does take a long time for hot water to run from the heater to the other side of the house.
Think dishwasher, clothes washer.
This can be offset by having a circulating circuit put in.

I have a Rinnai and am having some issues
One issue was that the max heat was 140 degrees.
Didn't know this before install.
If had wanted higher upper limit could have gotten a commercial unit instead.
Why the need for more than 140?
For me it is a problem with water pressure.
Higher temp would have made it easier in the showers.

Significant issues with my installer.
Like I said, started in January.
Still haven't been able to get him back to finish. Still trying to get the circulating pumps put in and keep getting excuses.
Still hasn't been inspected

Exhaust condensate should be pumped out.
Right now, mine is draining into crawlspace.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have an electric water heater and I've considered an electric tankless. One drawback for us (with either system) is distance from the tank to the kitchen & main bathroom (heater is in the laundry/utility room), but I'd have to run a new 220V line to move it. I've actually considered jumping in a 10gal 120V in the bathroom to overcome the wait.

As mentioned previously, it's always sumthin' ... glad you got it under control. :thumb:
___

Last edited:

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
May I suggest something?

My old boss came back to the office after a weekend at home and discovered the place was flooded by a faulty toilet hose.

We squeegeed water for three days and had umpteen fans blowing. He called me into the office and asked me to come up with something to shut off the water if it ever happens again. I researched a bit and found there was a low voltage power water shut off valve we could purchase and install that would take an input of 12 to 24 volts and shut off the main.

I added Water Bugs to the burglar alarm on a zone expander and water sensing devices, under each toilet, sink and refrigerator with ice maker. I programmed the alarm to trip a relay controlling the power supply relay to shut off the main water inlet pipe. It worked great.

1630023618298.png

Now they have wireless units.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DJZCFBH?tag=smarthomeperf-20&th=1&psc=1&geniuslink=true
This one is Z Wave

Latest posts

Top Bottom