House flooded and going to a tankless water heater

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
May I suggest something?

My old boss came back to the office after a weekend at home and discovered the place was flooded by a faulty toilet hose.

We squeegeed water for three days and had umpteen fans blowing. He called me into the office and asked me to come up with something to shut off the water if it ever happens again. I researched a bit and found there was a low voltage power water shut off valve we could purchase and install that would take an input of 12 to 24 volts and shut off the main.

I added Water Bugs to the burglar alarm on a zone expander and water sensing devices, under each toilet, sink and refrigerator with ice maker. I programmed the alarm to trip a relay controlling the power supply relay to shut off the main water inlet pipe. It worked great.

View attachment 220016

Now they have wireless units.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DJZCFBH?tag=smarthomeperf-20&th=1&psc=1&geniuslink=true
This one is Z Wave
I've considered something like this, but our water has an incredibly high calcium content. I'm afraid a solenoid valve would gunk up and stick without constant use. :anyone:

Okiedog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had 4 tankless Noritz in service for 10 yrs. I did have to have 1 rebuilt, but that is the only problem I've had. If you don't have a water softener, it will have to be flushed at least yearly. These are running on propane.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is your gas line big enough to run a tank less? I looked at one the last time on mine but guy at the store thought I'd probably need new line ran given house is circa 80s model. Never confirmed it was true.
It takes very little gas. Your 80s house will be just fine. I’ve installed more hot water tanks than I can remember. Gas and electric. Gas in houses going back to the 40s because their electrical panels can’t support anything else and investors are cheap as hell.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i have a bosch. like i said it is over 20 years old now. things you should know before you go tankless. if you have the pressure balance type faucets you will need to set them so they don't balance. these are common in showers and tubs and known as anti scald faucets. a tankless doesn't take any longer to get hot water to the other end of the house than a tank. make sure you get one sized to your needs. don't let it freeze!

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i have a bosch. like i said it is over 20 years old now. things you should know before you go tankless. if you have the pressure balance type faucets you will need to set them so they don't balance. these are common in showers and tubs and known as anti scald faucets. a tankless doesn't take any longer to get hot water to the other end of the house than a tank. make sure you get one sized to your needs. don't let it freeze!
What's the issue with the balancing faucet?

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wife and I have replaced 3 water heaters over the years. That's great for being in the same home for over 30 years. This time It was just too much for me to do. It's a gas heater and had so much crap in the bottom, can't drain. Thank the Lord my wife was home when this one went. I was out of town and I called to get a buddy to come shut the water off because my wife couldn't get the tap closed at the tank. It's a 40 gallon tank and a ton of water had soaked our carpet in the hall, closet and one bedroom. The last one I put in myself and had to have some of the HVAC stuff pulled to fit the tank in. It was a 17" wide and still had to remove the door frame. Ha. No way I could manhandle another one in or carry this one out. They don't make them that small anymore (width) and I just don't have it in me to do the work myself.
Hard to find a plumber anymore that's not backed up till ......well....till they get to it. But I called one I knew and told him to put a tankless one in. Gas, venting and electricity very handy as well as the positioning of the water in/out. Made sure he picked up a good one and told him to get after it. A bit pricy buy it will good for a very long time and save money as well. It's a good thing for my wife and worth it in the long run.
He brought the unit by just now and I had taken the double door frame/doors and trim down. Though about going ahead and do the disconnect but wife said NO because she knows I'd try to move the tank (still full of water) out. Smart gal. Anyway, it should be a quick fix and one less thing for her to worry about in the future.
Plus.....I think it's cool
Made the switch last year about this time. They are great. Hot water always there, never worry about a rust out, likely never buy another hot water heater again

Latest posts

Top Bottom