House I’m working on

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get that hooked up in no time w pex

exactly. The water lines are currently galvanized steel and many places are nearly rusted through.
This reminds me of a "remodel" we did about twenty years ago. The only thing we didn't touch on the entire house was the roof because it had been replaced a few years before.

It was a tiny two bedroom, about 800 square feet, in Wewoka. The BIA was paying the bill and would just bulldoze the house if it cost more than $50K to remodel it.

My dad decided we needed to get involved so he put in a bid for just under that amount.

We stripped everything down to the bare studs and joists inside and out, and rebuilt it back like new.

After that experience my dad never bid on any of those projects again.

crazy. That sounds nearly identical to this project! This house could have been a candidate for bulldozing. It’ll rent for a few decades when it’s all clean and dry though.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A lot of investors think they know houses and buy a house because they seem cheap on the surface. They think “well the last few weren’t bad. This one shouldn’t cost much more.” They’re comparing a cosmetic remodel on a good slab with something like this where most of the floor is taken out and all of the plumbing has to be redone. Needs piers on the stem wall in several places. Grading around the house for drainage. Probably new wiring too. Adds up so quickly and the good deal costs more than a house ready to go or one that has good bones with a cosmetic remodel.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
PEX is easy to work with than copper and will last far longer. I have a couple of pocket PEX crimpers in my toolbox with "O" rings. Those rings are somewhat costly at Lowes in those small packets.

Yeah it’s great stuff. Easy to get right. If I build any houses they will be easy to maintain. Everything accessible. The way we build them now is BS. Shouldn’t be a problem to get several hundred years of functional house out of a current build. That’s actually more green than anything.

Latest posts

Top Bottom