House window advice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nemesis

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My house was built in 1998 with "builder grade" components/materials. The windows are thermo pane and are structurally sound. I.e., no leaks inside the glass, etc.

But, a neighbor said she upgraded her windows and it tremendously increased the soundproofing in her house. Specifically, she said it eliminated the noise from a recently built fire station's sirens as the trucks went by.

Her previous windows were like mine, viz. two panes, aluminum clad, no thermal break.

Is this possible with upgraded windows?

Also, if the above is true, what brands are recommended?

thanks

Last edited:

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We used the Thermal Windows folks in Tulsa. Actually on three house remodels. They're not cheap but they are really good quality and the folks that installed them were great all three times. We also experienced the soundproofing your neighbor mentioned as well as a nice cozy house that isn't drafty. Our monthly heat/air bills seem to have benefited as well.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We used the Thermal Windows folks in Tulsa. Actually on three house remodels. They're not cheap but they are really good quality and the folks that installed them were great all three times. We also experienced the soundproofing your neighbor mentioned as well as a nice cozy house that isn't drafty. Our monthly heat/air bills seem to have benefited as well.
100% agree, Thermal Windows of OK are great.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought Thermal Windows several years ago and wanted Vinyl windows and when I picked them up they had all four corners of each window cut out, sort of like a 4" square as I remember and I couldn't use them so I called them and they said they'll take them back and I insisted on aluminum windows this time which leaked form the get go. Perhaps now they have changed but I never could figure out why the windows all had the corners cut out and salesman couldn't either.
Now, to the present. I have a home that had builders grade windows, the cheapest they could find and they leaked cold air in the winter and warm air in the summer. So I called Lowes and they installed a couple of windows and they are ok but not guaranteed well. I wanted windows for the remainder of the house and called Window World, they have a lifetime guarantee on their windows and if one is accidently broken due to hail or a baseball, they come back and repair the window. So I bought the remainder of my windows from Window World and they beat Home Depot and Lowes prices plus the guarantee was there. I wish I had bought all the windows from Windows World and had their windows all around the home but I do stupid things sometimes and Lowes is so close... I thought WW and Champon windows were cheap and a gimmick but not so, they're quality.
Also, if you are going to replace windows, check out the rebate from Oklahoma utility companies..OGE. They ran out of money last year but perhaps they'll be receiving more funds this year and you might get back a little of your money-around ?$115 per window. Check around on the windows and get the best windows and the best guarantee at the best price.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought Thermal Windows several years ago and wanted Vinyl windows and when I picked them up they had all four corners of each window cut out, sort of like a 4" square as I remember and I couldn't use them so I called them and they said they'll take them back and I insisted on aluminum windows this time which leaked form the get go. Perhaps now they have changed but I never could figure out why the windows all had the corners cut out and salesman couldn't either.
Now, to the present. I have a home that had builders grade windows, the cheapest they could find and they leaked cold air in the winter and warm air in the summer. So I called Lowes and they installed a couple of windows and they are ok but not guaranteed well. I wanted windows for the remainder of the house and called Window World, they have a lifetime guarantee on their windows and if one is accidently broken due to hail or a baseball, they come back and repair the window. So I bought the remainder of my windows from Window World and they beat Home Depot and Lowes prices plus the guarantee was there. I wish I had bought all the windows from Windows World and had their windows all around the home but I do stupid things sometimes and Lowes is so close... I thought WW and Champon windows were cheap and a gimmick but not so, they're quality.
Also, if you are going to replace windows, check out the rebate from Oklahoma utility companies..OGE. They ran out of money last year but perhaps they'll be receiving more funds this year and you might get back a little of your money-around ?$115 per window. Check around on the windows and get the best windows and the best guarantee at the best price.
It's odd you had problems with Thermal windows quality, I find them to be very solid quality and they also have not only a lifetime warranty for accidental breakage or leakage, etc. but its transferable to the new owners when I move. I think that will be a huge selling point.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

A relative of mine bought Thermal Windows OKC and are very pleased w/them. Had them about 4 years...

Last edited:

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got my windows from lowe's, Pella brand windows. I had a couple of guys come out a measure the windows for a quote. The third installer came by, we started talking about hunting, guns, and motorcycles. He measured the windows, gave the measurements, and showed me how to remove the old window and install the new one.
Between my two daughters and my wife we replaced all of the windows in the house on one Saturday morning.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was only stating the problems with Thermal Windows I had at that time, like I said, perhaps they've improved. I won't buy any more windows from them, it cost me another $600.00 to change to aluminum and they weren't ashamed to take the money.

Podman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got a quote from Thermal Windows and they were outragiously priced. Things must have changed since the owner died awhile back.
I will probably do what a previous poster did and just buy and install the windows myself.

Latest posts

Top Bottom