Houston... We have a problem.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hope you checked under your house for kits. If not in a few days you may have a really bad smell invading your house.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was concerned about that. I waited until it turned towards me. It was instant and painless...I hope. Even when I went out and picked it up I couldn't really smell anything other than the normal smell of the skunk.

Dogs didn't even react to it after I let them out again. Maybe I got lucky. I hate that I had to do that.

Don’t. You did the world a favor.

I’m no biologist or game warden, but I’ve been told by several of both that 98% of skunks carry rabies.

Kill em all and bury them so the virus doesn’t spread is what I’ve been told. I’m in compliance.

Agree w/ @dennishoddy, of the dozens and dozens I’ve killed, they always at least leak the nasty yellow juice that produces the odor. Always.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was worried about the possibility of the skunk spraying. That's why I didn't try anything while it was under the house.

Once it was out in the yard I waited till it was facing towards me before firing. Head shot, 00B, 30' away. It went down instantly and never moved. I checked under the house...nothing. Even my Corgis aren't hitting on any smell and I trust their noses implicitly. That's how I found the skunk in the first place. If they act like they smell something or hear something, I trust them that they do. They never fail me.

Seriously...there was no odor whatsoever except the faint smell that all skunks have. I bagged it and sealed it in a box and put it in the trash. I didn't bury it because I didn't want anything digging it up.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Next time around, I would suggest adding dachshunds to your ranching repertoire. You can size them for your pest, and they’re typically so filled with hatred for other living things that you won’t have to worry about it for long. In Germany they’re sized as rabbit, fox, and badger dachshunds, so you can choose accordingly.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our corner is a favorite drop point for shitheads dumping dogs.

90+% of the dogs, D-i-L rehomes. The others, we have no choice but to dispatch.
I would rather dispatch the worthless shitheads that dumb dogs. Alas, the Sheriff has suggested not doing it, though he agrees we should.

Put a cam on corner and got a few pics. Sheriff took it from there.

Haven't had a dog dumped since July. ???

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Next time around, I would suggest adding dachshunds to your ranching repertoire. You can size them for your pest, and they’re typically so filled with hatred for other living things that you won’t have to worry about it for long. In Germany they’re sized as rabbit, fox, and badger dachshunds, so you can choose accordingly.

I'd rather have Jack Russells. I grew up with the wiener dogs and loved them. Personally, I haven't seen any dog, pound for pound, that was meaner towards small furry critters than a JRT. It's a good thing they're mostly under 30 pounds. If they were the size of Rottweilers and had thumbs they'd rule the world.

But the ears on those Corgis...

I swear my little female can hear sound that hasn't been made yet.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just noticed the plumber we had out here a few months ago left a piece of the skirting of our house laying on the ground under the front deck. It's difficult to see unless you're looking directly under there.

Unfortunately, the neighborhood skunk must've been looking directly under there. For the last two nights one of my Corgis has been going batty about something under the deck. Tonight I saw it. Hoping it was a possum. Nope.

Now what?
Mothballs

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Squirrel, rabbit, cat chasing machine

Terrorizers are great dogs, regardless of specific sub category.

Attachments

• 0404220745.jpg
    0404220745.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 0

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Squirrel, rabbit, cat chasing machine

That's a very nice bow-tie!

This is a picture of one of my Terriers. Stella passed 12 years ago.

MVC-011S.JPG

Stella was my gun shop dog for 10 years. There was a large, feral cat that lived under the feed store bldg next to my gun shop. Bob, the owner, often warned me not to let Stella tangle with that cat because the damn thing was so mean. Well, the inevitable happened and Stella met feral cat one day. It was a pretty one-sided battle. That poor cat must've thought he tangled with a 25 pound tornado with teeth. Stella had a couple of scratches. Never saw the barn cat again until Bob sold the store. When they moved a bunch of pallets of feed from the storage area out back we found the mummified cat carcass. I had another one...Lola. She was even more motivated than Stella. I laugh out loud when people tell me how mean their cats are and how they can handle any dog. OK. Sure...

(I would never intentionally let my dogs go after cats...just to be clear.)

Latest posts

Top Bottom