How Can I Actually Retire

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Another thread got me thinking about this. I retired in 2011, rode a motorcycle around a couple of years, and have “worked” a few part time gigs since then for something to do. I quit my last one when it became more trouble than it was worth.

I’m having knee replacement 1/17 for the third time and will be down a bit. I like to play golf, read, and go to grandkids sports. Besides that, I have a really hard time sitting around. I’m not rich but have a decent retirement income. What hobbies or what things do you old farts suggest for me. I’d really like something interesting to do whether volunteer or a fun part time gig. I NEVER want to manage people again.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you like a little peaceful solitude and being out in nature at times, I got back into fishing after a 15 year absence and it has been good for me, but that is a little dependent on WX .

Ham radio has been good for me. You get to meet a lot of people and personalities and still can stand back and just listen in the background or not even turn it on if you want. Some are very interesting people in many ways, different opinions of many things but it is always polite and civil. Some just there for conversation and friendship, many wanting to understand the hobby more. There are many aspects of the hobby that you can get into many ways. It can be an inexpensive hobby to get into or like having a race car, how fa$t do you want to go. You can get on the radio when you feel like it, not when you don't. It is kinda good for especially a wintertime hobby while hanging around the house. It does have some background advantages if we ever get into stuff hitting the fan that we will be able to communicate with people we already know and trust if all else fails.

In between, there are always volunteer stuff where help is needed, our local American Legion Post does many things for our disabled veterans.

Lots of stuff to do out there without having to be the leader of anything, many of us got burnt out doing that. Good luck staying happy and productive, even if it is for your self.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the volunteer idea if you don't need the money.

If you want to work part time and get a little pocket money, you can't swing a dead cat by the tail without hitting a "Now Hiring" sign right now...

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well...you could come help me move in a couple of weeks...

anim_coffee.gif

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Well...you could come help me move in a couple of weeks...

View attachment 242636
I’m moving this week so thanks but no thanks. The fence building plan ain’t my jam either. I used to volunteer for the Red Cross but they are more dysfunctional than USPS if that’s humanly possible. Maybe the VA route might be a possibility. I used to fish quite a bit too. Keep ‘em coming

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You could make items for the local Infant Crisis Center. (There are lots of men who sew ... 🤷 Many of them are household names.) They are always looking for receiving blankets, and little caps for baby heads to keep them warm. The little mittens and booties take some dexterity and knowledge of what you are doing (but are not out of reach of anyone who's been seeing for a month or two). They can be as plain or fancy (like with applique or quilted patterns) as you like. Well, anyway there's my suggestion.

ETA: I thought of another one. What about volunteering at the Regional Food Bank. I volunteered for a while WAY long time ago. It was an interesting gig. Met some cool folks. Kept busy. Was an interesting time, all in all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom