How Can I Actually Retire

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm about to take up metal detecting. I've been toying with the idea for several years and this year for Christmas my wife gave me cash to put toward a detector. Gonna' give it a go. She said she figures it's something we might enjoy together.
Please go to the gravel parking lot near the What a burger in Paris Tx.
Wife was putting on hand lotion before arriving and stepped out with it in her lap. Nice prize if someone finds it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another thread got me thinking about this. I retired in 2011, rode a motorcycle around a couple of years, and have “worked” a few part time gigs since then for something to do. I quit my last one when it became more trouble than it was worth.

I’m having knee replacement 1/17 for the third time and will be down a bit. I like to play golf, read, and go to grandkids sports. Besides that, I have a really hard time sitting around. I’m not rich but have a decent retirement income. What hobbies or what things do you old farts suggest for me. I’d really like something interesting to do whether volunteer or a fun part time gig. I NEVER want to manage people again.
Buy an RV and become a work Camper in a RV park.
Fill propane tanks, mow, etc. Typically 8-12 hours a week at the federal level. Negotiable at private parks.
get a free campsite for the tour of duty.

Papa Mike

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Another thread got me thinking about this. I retired in 2011, rode a motorcycle around a couple of years, and have “worked” a few part time gigs since then for something to do. I quit my last one when it became more trouble than it was worth.

I’m having knee replacement 1/17 for the third time and will be down a bit. I like to play golf, read, and go to grandkids sports. Besides that, I have a really hard time sitting around. I’m not rich but have a decent retirement income. What hobbies or what things do you old farts suggest for me. I’d really like something interesting to do whether volunteer or a fun part time gig. I NEVER want to manage people again.
I assume you have an interest in guns since you’re at the site . Get into shooting sports , trap, skeet, Black powder , bench rest . Oklahoma City gun club offers many .
Myself I compete in .22 bench rest

GIJROB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I retired at 37 trust me I feel you pain. I took a job with feds nov7 but I'm already tired of it I'm about go back to house and read, workout, shoot, and enjoy it again. BTW I'm 37 now. Lol

Jack Shootza 50

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Help disabled vets?

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have a large retirement income ....but I get by....I worked retail for 50 years.....started in as a clerk in a hardware store....finished as a pharmacist. After all that.....I really don't want to do a lot of 'people interaction' so volunteer work is not attractive. I have a handful of friends and that suffices. I bought 80 acres of land out away from home and that has been great. I even built a small log cabin and use this property to hunt and just enjoy the peace and quiet. I stay plenty busy with one project or another. Plus I have a small herd of goats that I enjoy raising and selling kids, gardens, and woodworking projects. The wife and I bought a small motorhome and travel a little. I guess the point is I have some many different things going I don't get bored with one or the other.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom