How can I collect on a bad check ? “UPDATE”

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A lady wrote me a check for some locksmith work, check was returned for insufficient funds, I contacted the lady and she has made several excuses and tells me she’ll pay when she gets money in from one of several sources ( all lies) I don’t want to wait too long what are my options in the state of Oklahoma?

UPDATE: I appriciate all the advice here, you guys are great! I decided to wait until today and run it thru again and if it bounced again then go to DA and let them handle it, Well, she called me Sunday afternoon and said she would have the cash on the 3rd (today) and she went to my bank and I gave her the acct # to deposit it and she did, so it’s all paid up and I will block her number and not have to deal with her again! Thanks again everyone and a special thsnks to That gurl for offering to come “ have a talk “ with her ! Lol, and for you guys wondering about the mattresses if you’ll shoot me you phone numbers I’ll pass them on to her and y’all can make your own deals 😂😂😂😂

Last edited:

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A lady wrote me a check for some locksmith work, check was returned for insufficient funds, I contacted the lady and she has made several excuses and tells me she’ll pay when she gets money in from one of several sources ( all lies) I don’t want to wait too long what are my options in the state of Oklahoma?
You can turn it over to a collections attorney like Stephen L Bruce & Associates. They've done work for me in the past. They'll chase her and put a lien on her house if necessary.
Other option is to go downtown and tell the clerk you want to file a small claims case on the bounced check. She'll talk you through the whole thing. You'll need to pay the sheriff to find her and deliver a notice to appear. Then you just show up for court. She won't, most likely. It'll fall to a default judgement. At that point you can call banks all around her house and get them to collect the money for you, or file a lien on her house.
While she doesn't pay, you will be charging her *i think* 8% interest per year. In no time the amount will double. If she ever tries to buy a house or sell hers you'll get paid automatically.

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But you do have to renew the lien annually I believe. I knew a guy that renewed a lien for quite a few years
and when they tried to sell their house he got his money. It was a plumber that was owed money.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go back and change ot the lock and put her old one back on. I had an HVAC instructor that had been called to put some freon in a widow's refrig. He fixed the leak and added freon and she said she didn't have the money when he gave her the bill but would pay him on the 1st when she received her Social security check.
He went back on the 1st and she said she didn't have the money but for sure would pay him the 1st of the next month. I think he said he went back 3 times to collect his fees and on the 3rd time she said she didn't have the money, he was upset and walked around/by her and went to the refrigerator and punched a hole in the freon line and all the freon leaked out. I think that was carrying it to extreme for a widow but he was a hard nose guy. I have an odd sense of honor and couldn't do that.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
go to the bank that the check was written on and show the check to the teller but don't run it. ask the teller if there is enough money in the account to clear the check and if there is then cash the check rite then and there. if the account has just a few dollars shy and if it pleases you then you can make a deposit into the account for the few dollars that are short and then turn around and cash the check.

Latest posts

Top Bottom