How can one steal a plane?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We trust our fellow citizens more than most of us realize. Instead of looking for technology or government to stop bad actors, we are better off finding ways to interact positively with people around us.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The ignition on light aircraft that do have keys is usually no more sophisticated than a John Deere lawnmower.

Half the flight schools out there leave the key hanging on one of the gauges. The rest on a clipboard named with the N number in a publicly accessible FBO

Folks, I hate to break it to you but there is no such thing as security. We have a false sense of security at best.
Keys? Hell, just cut the P-lead!

(Note: I've used this trick, though I disconnected the lead at the terminal rather than cutting it. Damned key switch chose an inconvenient time to fail, so I bypassed the problem.)

CoronaBorealis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We trust our fellow citizens more than most of us realize. Instead of looking for technology or government to stop bad actors, we are better off finding ways to interact positively with people around us.

Similar to gun violence...better off focusing on the humans than the tools with which they do violence. If he had been denied access to the plane, he could just as easily hopped into his car and done damage, even if it was only to take his own life.

On the topic of starting....no keys necessary in turbine aircraft, other than the ones that unlock the doors. We have other ways of disabling our plane when in less secured locations.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A checklist is mandatory but one won't necessarily tell a person the fundamentals of VFR or IFR, night flying etc. Experience is key=respectfully speaking.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A checklist is mandatory but one won't necessarily tell a person the fundamentals of VFR or IFR, night flying etc. Experience is key=respectfully speaking.
The checklist is enough to get the engine started if you have any experience at all.

(Also: aftermarket checklists are a bad thing. I once lost an engine in a Baron just as I was touching down because the checklist was wrong.)

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You're correct but the problem is how to keep it in the air? I wish I was young enough to get a pilots license. Dang, the years passed so quickly!

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're correct but the problem is how to keep it in the air? I wish I was young enough to get a pilots license. Dang, the years passed so quickly!
Airplanes want to fly. It's the landing that takes skill. As long as you remember to steer with your feet, you can probably get it off the ground, and if you've played with a flight sim more than twice, you can probably keep from ripping the wings off.

And if you're not worried about surviving the landing, well, that makes things a lot easier.

Latest posts

Top Bottom