How close is to close...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Got my new scope in the mail. Mounted it on my rifle and the rings seem pretty low for it. The scope doesn't touch the barrel but is very very close. Probably close to an 1/8". Maybe even a 1/16". Always read that the closer it is the better it is accuracy wise if that makes sense. But my question is how close is to close for recoil and stuff.

Specs: .308 Winchester and Vortex Crossfire II 6-18x44

jc5420

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got my new scope in the mail. Mounted it on my rifle and the rings seem pretty low for it. The scope doesn't touch the barrel but is very very close. Probably close to an 1/8". Maybe even a 1/16". Always read that the closer it is the better it is accuracy wise if that makes sense. That does not make sense.

But my question is how close is to close for recoil and stuff. As close as you can get it without having contact anywhere

Specs: .308 Winchester and Vortex Crossfire II 6-18x44

Close is fine, your rifle is not going to recoil into your scope unless the rings are loose or the scope is made of rubber.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't see any issue with the measurements you stated. Like stated above, there's no way they'll touch unless something is wrong/loose.

jc5420

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As you can see here, I like to run my scopes on the higher side...
i57.photobucket.com_albums_g211_jared87_Mobile_20Uploads_20151026_201407_zpsabisfoy4.jpg

You will be fine.

mike sweeney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The closer the line of the scope to the line of the barrel the better in long range shooting. The only drawback to having an optic almost touching the barrel is it doesnt provide clearance for a lens cap if you want to use one.

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mines close on my .308 varmint barrel but my my 47 Lapua has a thicker contour so it'll get closer buy I doubt it'll touch.
Hey Panhandle, mind uploading a pic? I'm curious.

Sent from no where

Latest posts

Top Bottom