How close is to close...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Close is good. Just don't go the opposite and look for a set of these.
ecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_71ASABgxFaL._SX355_.jpg

Here is where my scope sits. I could have gone lower but didn't see the justification for my needs.
IMG_1685.jpg

mike sweeney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To jc5420, sorry for dragging up an old thread but I was thinking that what I had previously said had no real content to this thread. Dont mean to drag up an old thread but I thought I would give a better answer to your question. Height Over Bore comes into play in two ways. In a perfect world the scope would be inline with the bore. This way if you knew a shot at say 600 yards was dropping two inches and you were sighted in at 100 yards with a scope with .25 inch increments you would just go eight clicks up. But with the scope not inline with the bore now there is a slight angle change and that is where HOB comes into play.

But the most common factor in HOB is cant. The higher the HOB the more of a factor canting the rifle will have on POI.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To jc5420, sorry for dragging up an old thread but I was thinking that what I had previously said had no real content to this thread. Dont mean to drag up an old thread but I thought I would give a better answer to your question. Height Over Bore comes into play in two ways. In a perfect world the scope would be inline with the bore. This way if you knew a shot at say 600 yards was dropping two inches and you were sighted in at 100 yards with a scope with .25 inch increments you would just go eight clicks up. But with the scope not inline with the bore now there is a slight angle change and that is where HOB comes into play.

But the most common factor in HOB is cant. The higher the HOB the more of a factor canting the rifle will have on POI.
Somebody has been doing some studying, and shooting I'm thinking?

Latest posts

Top Bottom