How do you break in your rimfire bolt action?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeamX

Marksman
Banned
Reaction score
Got my FV-SR a few weeks ago, and got the stock last week. Thinking about taking it to the range to get a few rounds through it. I have been working the action when I pulled it out for whatever reason, but still haven't shot it. What do you do to your new bolts? I don't have a torque wrench for the DIP bottom metal yet, but more worried about break in that shooting small groups for it right now.

I have Remington Subsonics, Winchester M-22, Federal Automatch, CCI SV, CCI Mini-mags, Federal American Eagle, Remington Golden Bullets, and Winchester 333s for ammo choices. Plan on keeping subsonics or "match" ammo through it.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would clean it really well, then go shoot as much decent quality lead sub sonic ammo you can, at least 500-1000 rounds. By then it should start tightening up groups. Then, don’t clean your barrel unless your groups start getting weird. If you wanna get fancy shoot 300 rounds, clean your barrel. Repeat 3x. Then shoot your 500, and continue with the plan of the day.

Coug91

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got my FV-SR a few weeks ago, and got the stock last week. Thinking about taking it to the range to get a few rounds through it. I have been working the action when I pulled it out for whatever reason, but still haven't shot it. What do you do to your new bolts? I don't have a torque wrench for the DIP bottom metal yet, but more worried about break in that shooting small groups for it right now.

I have Remington Subsonics, Winchester M-22, Federal Automatch, CCI SV, CCI Mini-mags, Federal American Eagle, Remington Golden Bullets, and Winchester 333s for ammo choices. Plan on keeping subsonics or "match" ammo through it.
Home Depot on Penn has inch pound torque wrenches on clearance for I think $50.

Latest posts

Top Bottom