How do you get a permit for a gun range?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulP

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
How do you get a permit to build a gun range? What are the specifications you must follow? OKC Municipal code, 30-308, says discharging a firearm within the city limits is permitted at an "approved shooting range". I can't find any information or any permitting process for building an "approved shooting range". I am on the far eastern side of OKC. Anyone know how to do this?

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's actually a noise ordinance issue as the state has preempted all laws for the discharge of a firearm. So basically as long as the backstop is safe and it is not an issue for noise there isn't a whole lot to deal with. However if you are in the city limits of OKC that means an indoor range so for personal use it will be an issue. I am not feeling up to looking everything up but that gives you a place to start.

Outside of the city limits you can still have some other related stuff do deal with and neighbors but https://www.okshooters.com/threads/shooting-backstop.274612/ is a thread where someone is outside of the city limits of Shawnee and dealing with some complaints that you should be able to get some information on.

I would first make absolutely sure I am either within true city limits or outside of them though. Just because you have an OKC address/zip code does not mean within the city limits.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are state noise statutes related to ranges as well even in rural areas.
[Excerpt from TITLE 63-709.2] SHOOTING RANGE NOISE LIMIT
§63-709.2. Noise - Exemption from liability.
B. No person shall bring any suit in law or equity or any other claim for relief against a shooting range, or its owners or operators, based upon noise emanating from the shooting range, provided the noise at the property line of the range does not exceed one hundred fifty (150) decibels.

---

NOISE LEVELS from the League For The Hard Of Hearing (established 1910).

- Rifle: 163 dBA
- Handgun: 166 dBA
- Shotgun: 170 dBA

League For The Hard Of Hearing
50 Broadway, 6th Floor
New York, NY 10004
Phone: 917-305-7700

:drunk2:

rswink

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, how much easement will it take to get the decibels within compliance?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, how much easement will it take to get the decibels within compliance?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
I'm guessing it depends on range characteristics... indoor/outdoor, rolling/level/timbered land, perimeter fence (solid or not), etc. etc.

Just my 2¢, not a lawyer. :drunk2:
Mac is correct. It all depends on the characteristics of the terrain you want to build the range on. That being said, we had a mobile home across the road from our front gate about 150 yards with pistol bays shooting 90 degrees away from it and our DB level was way below the state requirements. We helped that by putting excess dirt during original construction into a "back berm" to deflect and absorb the noise from gunfire before it got to our property line.
Our clubhouse is between the pistol bays and the mobile home. The pistol noise is just a pop-pop. Nothing that requires any hearing protection.

PaulP

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's actually a noise ordinance issue as the state has preempted all laws for the discharge of a firearm. So basically as long as the backstop is safe and it is not an issue for noise there isn't a whole lot to deal with. However if you are in the city limits of OKC that means an indoor range so for personal use it will be an issue. I am not feeling up to looking everything up but that gives you a place to start.

Outside of the city limits you can still have some other related stuff do deal with and neighbors but https://www.okshooters.com/threads/shooting-backstop.274612/ is a thread where someone is outside of the city limits of Shawnee and dealing with some complaints that you should be able to get some information on.

I would first make absolutely sure I am either within true city limits or outside of them though. Just because you have an OKC address/zip code does not mean within the city limits.

I am certain I am in OKC limits because I built my house on part of the property. The permitting process plus their inspections will never be forgotten. Interested in why you said that it would be an indoor range if in city limits. I live on 15 acres surrounded by 100's of acres of raw land. Thanks for the insights.

PaulP

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
[Excerpt from TITLE 63-709.2] SHOOTING RANGE NOISE LIMIT
§63-709.2. Noise - Exemption from liability.
B. No person shall bring any suit in law or equity or any other claim for relief against a shooting range, or its owners or operators, based upon noise emanating from the shooting range, provided the noise at the property line of the range does not exceed one hundred fifty (150) decibels.

---

NOISE LEVELS from the League For The Hard Of Hearing (established 1910).

- Rifle: 163 dBA
- Handgun: 166 dBA
- Shotgun: 170 dBA

League For The Hard Of Hearing
50 Broadway, 6th Floor
New York, NY 10004
Phone: 917-305-7700

:drunk2:
That is really good information. Thanks

PaulP

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mac is correct. It all depends on the characteristics of the terrain you want to build the range on. That being said, we had a mobile home across the road from our front gate about 150 yards with pistol bays shooting 90 degrees away from it and our DB level was way below the state requirements. We helped that by putting excess dirt during original construction into a "back berm" to deflect and absorb the noise from gunfire before it got to our property line.
Our clubhouse is between the pistol bays and the mobile home. The pistol noise is just a pop-pop. Nothing that requires any hearing protection.

So you actually built a range. Where is it located. I would like to see it. I want to set up a shooting club with a private range for the club members. Is your range incorporated as a business?

Latest posts

Top Bottom