How do you get motorcycle endorsement on added to Drivers license?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got a motorcycle license when I was 14 in Oklahoma. I also got a permit to drive farm equipment on the road at the same age.
At some point the DMV dropped off my Motorcycle endorsement. I never even notice until my insurance agency asked to see my license.
I had to go take a written and driving test, I did not go to a MSF course. I was wondering if the guy that was following me for the driving part of the exam was going to ask me how I got the motorcycle to the DMV without a license or permit.

killerpigeon

Native off the Reservation
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd been riding motorcycles for almost 10 years on the rez before I got my license. Still took the class though cause it saved me a ton on insurance and I got a 1/2 off any helmet under $300.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got mine grandfathered in when they changed the commerical license to class A/B they asked if i had any endorsement i wanted to add and i told them the motorcycle so they added even thou i dont ride one anymore i had it added just in case. Didnt even have to take a test for my class B except the air brake test only.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like previous posters, I was grandfathered in when I rode up to the front door on my 1972 H2 750 triple Kawasaki with barely baffled expansion chambers. I walked in the door and the guy said "You here for a motorcycle endorsement?" I nodded yes. "Sit down here and I'll have to do some paperwork, just take a minute.
"
In 1987 I went down and took the 20 question written CDL test on a Monday. That Wednesday I was driving an 18 wheeler with a nitro funny car in the back in Indianapolis, IN rush hour traffic trying to get to the drag strip to get set up for the weekend.

Times have changed. Ha Ha.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did the same for my CDL. A man asked me on a Tuesday if I could drive an 18 wheeler. Told him I could drive anything with wheels on it. Picked up and read the book on a Wednesday took the written test on Thursday and was driving a forty footer loaded with tires on Friday.

Last edited:

FreeSpiritBalloon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was in 28 palms CA and got their M endorsement to ride on base. When I made it back to OK, I didn’t hear about the new OK requirement so when I went back to an OK license, I didn’t even think about transferring it since I sold the bike before I left CA. If I would have gotten an email or read a forum about it, I could have saved myself some trouble. That old email didn’t work very well in ‘88.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got my commercial driver's license in Texas at 17. No chauffer or motorcycle included.

Moved to Oklahoma when I was 18. Didn't have to do anything but present my commercial Texas license (don't remember if I took a written test, but if I did it was short) to get an OK commercial license (which also included chauffer). At that time, you could also drive a motorcycle (I think with any OK license?).

Then came CDLs. Had my own shop at the time, and all I had to do was bring a note (on letterhead from my shop) that said I needed a CDL to test-drive trucks, and take the written test. I had the "M" added when the trooper asked if I wanted it.

Then my health went down the tubes, and I finally let it expire in 2004. So now I only have an operator's license, which I had to get a couple years ago when sweetie's Alzheimer's got so bad. :/

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Successful completion of an MSF course waives the riding and written exam. Lots of fun, even in the pouring rain! lol

I have had my M endorsement since 1986. Bought a bike two weeks ago and since it had been 10 years I took the MSF course. Huge discount on insurance and discount at Cycle Gear as well.

jaketinaboxer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i highly recommend the msf course and if you take it both tests are waived. If not you do a written test and a drive test. doing an apt is much easier for each. inlineonline.ok.gov if you are under 18 the msf course is required. if no apt then expect a wait. times at my office are sometimes over 2 hours.

Latest posts

Top Bottom