How do you go about discouraging someone from getting a gun/permit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It might be easier said than done, but have you considered just saying "I'm sorry, but I don't feel comfortable helping you with this."
I know man, see, this is what happens all too often: the OP asked a legitimate question and it quickly started going south. It turned into a deal all about judging and interfering and so on. Sigh...I do think 65ny offered the best answer to the question so far. Many of us have had similar situations come up, maybe not about guns, but then again, maybe so. Example, a lady my wife and I know has asked me to help her buy a gun and then teach her how to shoot so she can protect herself from her allegedly violent ex-husband. Right. Like I'm going to get involved with that mess. No way. I can see it now: "Yes your Honor, I shot him in self defense, I double-tapped his azz and then dumped the rest of mag in his noggin just like Mr. Druryj taught me to do".
I used to be a dealer, and someone from work wanted to see about buying a gun. I asked him what the purpose of the gun was, and he said for home protection. He then made the statement that 'If anybody breaks into my house, they are dead.' I asked him even if they are clearly surrendering? 'It doesn't matter', he spat, 'they are in my house so they are dead!' I had to tell this young man that with that attitude, he was better off without a gun.
People like these are our worst nightmare. They are how a good portion of the media and the other gun-grabbers see us. If you know someone like this, please discourage him from getting a gun.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my opinion there is a large difference between "Someone shouldn't be legally allowed to have a gun" and "I don't want to be involved with them getting a gun." Same as a gun store has every right to refuse a deal if they feel something is wrong.

@tRidiot as a person CANNOT deny her rights. He can't stop her from doing the research on her own and getting a gun and the carry license. He does have every right to refuse to help her do so himself.
Quite so.

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Take her to a range, and let her shoot some of your guns. When she can't rack the slide to chamber the first round she might change her mind. I support everybody's right to bear arms, but some people no matter what their age are not mentally competent to handle one. I've seen 10 year olds that can handle a gun safer than a 60 year old.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It really is exhausting - this is a woman who constantly calls my wife or our other neighbor to come over to help her zip/unzip her dress or blouse, fasten or unfasten her bra, or put her earrings in. Seriously. It's that bad
Similar situation in Myrtle Beach, SC about 5 years ago. Eventually the neighbors called and told me about the issues and I went to investigate. Mom now loves the Assisted Care facility and the neighbors do not have to help her dress, undress or jump her car... Oh, I also relieved the home of its one and only firearm. It tough getting old, tougher if you have no one to look out for your best interest.

Dave

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like others have mentioned, I suggest you figure out a way to steer clear of helping her with "gun stuff" if it makes you uncomfortable. As for helping her with other things, Thank You TR! I always try to help the elderly when/if I can. I often think to myself, "I bet I annoyed several folks when I was a kid for the same reasons some elderly folks may annoy me now". The cycle of life I guess.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Along the lines as one member mentioned. Find the lightest semi you can and get the hottest load's you can find, and let her shoot it and see if that discourages her. You know there's a flip side to this coin no one has brought up. How are you going to feel if someone breaks into her house and harms her. ...Something to think about.

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Along the lines as one member mentioned. Find the lightest semi you can and get the hottest load's you can find, and let her shoot it and see if that discourages her. You know there's a flip side to this coin no one has brought up. How are you going to feel if someone breaks into her house and harms her. ...Something to think about.

That last point is pretty much what I was a thinking......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my opinion there is a large difference between "Someone shouldn't be legally allowed to have a gun" and "I don't want to be involved with them getting a gun." Same as a gun store has every right to refuse a deal if they feel something is wrong.

@tRidiot as a person CANNOT deny her rights. He can't stop her from doing the research on her own and getting a gun and the carry license. He does have every right to refuse to help her do so himself.
The OP believes he has the right to decide if the lady should have a gun, he made that clear when he capitalized "NOT." My point was this is the same mentality liberals have about anyone owning a gun, the fact you would want a gun would be a disqualifier.
Our queen of Oklahoma decided that we do not have the Right to carry a gun because we cannot be trusted.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
The OP believes he has the right to decide if the lady should have a gun, he made that clear when he capitalized "NOT." My point was this is the same mentality liberals have about anyone owning a gun, the fact you would want a gun would be a disqualifier.
Our queen of Oklahoma decided that we do not have the Right to carry a gun because we cannot be trusted.

Except that his determination doesn't make it illegal for her to do so. That's also the difference between "conservative" and "liberal" thinking vs a liberty approach: classic conservatives & liberals think "x group of people shouldn't do y, therefore it should be illegal". Nowhere in his post did @tRidiot claim that it should be illegal for her to own a gun.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
Except that his determination doesn't make it illegal for her to do so. That's also the difference between "conservative" and "liberal" thinking vs a liberty approach: classic conservatives & liberals think "x group of people shouldn't do y, therefore it should be illegal". Nowhere in his post did @tRidiot claim that it should be illegal for her to own a gun.
I can see what you are saying, I just do not believe I have a Right to decide if another citizen should have a Right. I do have a choice to not assist her in a dangerous process, but the OP has clearly decided she should not own a a gun. God has given us Rights, not the government or our neighbor. Only a citizen should be able to decide to surrender that Right.

Latest posts

Top Bottom