How do you store a weapon for a break in.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Just put them in front of widows. Also, take pictures of them and leave you location info on, then post them all over the internet. By far the best way to store them for break-ins.

Real answer, on you is the best way to store one. After that, really depends on your living situation as others mentioned. I had one on a magnet under my desk pre daughter, when I worked from home.
Had to redo the lay out when grandbabies started arriving on the scene!! Wife has a combo safe beside her chair and the only gun out is on my hip when the kiddos are over.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had to redo the lay out when grandbabies started arriving on the scene!! Wife has a combo safe beside her chair and the only gun out is on my hip when the kiddos are over.
Yep, I have a quick safe that isn’t very quick, for night time storage. On you is really the only safe way to have it secured around rug rats and visitors.

RockHopper

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I question the logic of trying to use a long gun from bed. Maybe that's not the Ops point here, and you only want to have a long gun immediately available for when you've overcome the challenge of getting vertical from a position of being on your back. But having a long gun within reach of even a sitting position, may have you trying to shoulder said gun while perched on the edge of the bed. It's just my opinion...but keeping a gun within reach while sleeping is most likely going to result in you trying to manipulate said gun as soon as something goes bump in the night.

We shoot how we practice, so my question for those who do it would be...have you practiced that?

I have the same issue with loose tools on the nightstand. A flashlight or handgun just laying on the nightstand, unsecured, are just as likely to get knocked to the floor in the dark and become useless when moments matter. Or worse yet, fumbling with a gun in the dark, with adrenaline spiking could cause a negligent discharge with disastrous consequences. Scaring a meth zombie back out of your house is a good thing, but blowing your own toes off is not the way to do it.
I encourage everyone contemplating this to factor in as many variables as possible, INCLUDING Murphy's Law.

Here are a few strong suggestions:

~ A securely fastened, locking retention holster will help to ensure a safe and successful presentation of your defensive weapon.

~ A weapon mounted light will enable you to identify a threat the moment your weapon is presented.

(I know many will struggle with this next one)
~ Retreat is the safest form of self-defense.

Having no obligation to retreat in your own home, doesn't mean it may not be the wisest choice. Retreat of any kind in the face of a perceived threat establishes a legal standing of "self-defense" over "defense of property". We all know which one of those concepts is easier to defend in court.

When I go to bed, my rifle goes around the corner to the bathroom. If something happens at night, in bed, my handgun is the first defender...but retreating further into my home nets me Jeff Coopers most sage advice. Those few moments it takes to get there (already armed) also give me several steps to wake up, get my footing and balance, and ascertain what the threat level actually is ...and God help anyone who actually proceeds into my bedroom.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We live in the sticks. At best, help is 20 minutes out.
We’ve installed sensors on the doors and use smart security cams to turn on lights in the house.
From a dark bedroom they will be very visible.
Wife and I have discussed our plan of action and we each have a job to do if someone breaks in. She is to roll off the bed and call 911. My job is to retrieve the pistol from the nightstand with a WML and green laser. There is no plan to turn on the light as that gives away my position in the dark room while the person coming down the hallway is well lit. The WML is just a backup in case the house lights fail or the intruder finds the breaker panel. Then plan B kicks in.
There is no plan to leave that dark bedroom either. The intruder can ransack or do whatever until the posse arrives from town, but one step into that bedroom is going to get the gunfight going.

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No kids or unsupervised visitors in our house so our weapons are close by easily accessed if the need arises. So, if by the off-chance someone makes it past our two German Shepherds they won't make it any farther including back out, at least not under their own power.

RockHopper

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Named Radar for good reason as you can see.

Attachments

• IMG_20211204_121712513.jpg
    IMG_20211204_121712513.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 32

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My 300 blackout AR fits perfectly in the bed rail between the box springs and side of the bed frame, barrel points towards front entrance of the house from my bedroom, I actually figured out that I can charge the AR, turn on the tactical light and illuminate the entry foyer as it sits, safety and trigger reachable, I could empty a magazine from the bedrail laying in bed

Latest posts

Top Bottom