How do you train?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I sure did. The thread came up as a new post and I didn't notice it was a dealers thread. You mentioned you might be able to find someone to help fix things for others, and I knew of someone who did. I did that, no doubt, and I wouldn't have if I had only been paying attention. Yes! For that I apologize, it was wrong no matter how it got there.
Second, we tend to post in the same threads so who is following who around? Chicken, Egg? Potato, Tomato.....meh.
Third, You are assuming I need google to know about your avitar/profile and that is quaint and a bit ego centric.
Fourth, try and remember posts you disagree with are not usually ment personally (all though my last few certainly were), your blood pressure and drinking will thank you.

AguaFriaRanger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think index card drills, especially when matched with a shot timer, are good practice for getting your manual of arms and shooting skills up. Adjust the range for the weapon and your skillset. Add to this something with some real analysis power like a Mantis X10 and you're cooking with Crisco. Regardless of your training level, it doesn't hurt to get out and do some training in a class of some sort in my opinion. You have to be pretty careful with who you give money to in the firearms training market, however. Tons of snake oil salesmen, mall ninjas, and fudds abound. You also have to focus on where the value is. Training a really good, really consistent draw to first shot is very valuable (IMO). When you're under pressure you're only going to have what you've trained into your lizard brain to rely on realistically. It may surprise you what that lizard brain decides to do when it takes over. Give it some effective tools, your life just might depend on it.

There is something to be gathered from everything. Take some sparring classes. Stay decently fit, and go to the gym! Take a stop the bleed class. If you carry a gun but not a TQ you might be doing some of that magic talisman carrying mentioned earlier here. Heck, even airsoft has value in that it gets you out there moving in your kit, and to an extent is going to train your target acquisition and maneuver under fire (kinda, sorta, please don't think I'm saying its 1-1 for rubber sim rounds or actual combat). If you get into the milsim side of airsoft you're getting experience with land nav and comms and even some bushcraft/camping skills. So there is a ton of hypothetical value there.

On another note, I find my fellow vets tend to think they made it and don't need to train. I assure you that you do, in fact, still need to train if you want to actually be the baddest dude on the block. These skills do degrade. Sure, if you got paid to pull triggers for 20 years I'd still rather have you on my team than some suburbanite who took an NRA basic pistol course 5 years ago, but you aren't going to keep that finely honed edge unless you keep sharpening.

And all hypothetical CCW/Larperating aside, ammo is too darn expensive to be missing out there so git gud!

Disclaimer, I'm just another guy and these are my opinions. I'm not claiming subject matter expertise on anything here, this is just my take on the topic of training... which is what this thread is supposed to be about

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with just about everything cold water Guardabosque said....(that's Spanish for Ranger, and the cold water is English for agua fria, great Marty Robins album cover by the way!) Everything but the stay in shape......I just didn't get that done. Now with that said I can still tie my boots on, but I have been know to black out from lack of air.
You say your not an expert, but that is a e ticket statement if ever there was one!.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
popcorneater.gif

TacticalTater

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's not my head that is in the sand, you simply refuse to accept reality.

I see the world the way it is, not the way I want it to be.

I have discussed self defense with those I care about, I can't force them or anyone else to take the steps necessary to protect themselves, it is their choice. Just like I won't take the bottle from an alcoholic or the chocolate cake from a diabetic, it is their choice.
you need smacked in the mouth

Latest posts

Top Bottom