How does "Public Land" work?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SiGArmed

Deplorable
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm slowly getting interested into hunting, but to be honest I know jack **** about it. One thing Im curious about is public land and how all that works? Like, can you just go out there walk around and hike and explore? Im sure all this info is somewhere just being new I dont really know what/where to google lol.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
First thing I would do is go to Walmart, bass pro or cabelas and get a copy of this. All WMA’s,WMU,NWR etc have different rules and not all are open to all game or season dates. You can read it online but it is easier to have the book so you can quickly return to another page. Highlight areas that you are interested in hunting and the open dates.
492E5E7B-852D-40FB-BFE7-45090250E617.jpeg

radarmonkey

Let's go Brandon
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm slowly getting interested into hunting, but to be honest I know jack **** about it. One thing Im curious about is public land and how all that works? Like, can you just go out there walk around and hike and explore? Im sure all this info is somewhere just being new I dont really know what/where to google lol.
I've been kinda wondering the same, casually searching threads here.

rj ︈

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have recently gotten into public land hunting over the past 2 years. We don't live in the best state for it but we have a few options. Some areas are closed to "non-hunting activities" during part of the year.

Expect to see others out there, they have every right to be there just like yourself. I have only had positive interactions with other hunters at trailheads. We both have communicated what direction we'd like to go and if we both were planning on going to the same area, I would opt to choose a back up area to check out that day.

There are contact numbers for the biologists and game wardens for different areas, it wouldn't hurt to give the warden a call if it is your first time going to an area and you are confused about anything after reading the regulations.

rj ︈

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check out onX maps or goHUNT, they are apps for both mobile and desktop. They basically collect the public information of who owns what land and organize it into something easy to use in the field and scout before you even go check the place out. onX also links out to the official govt website that can tell you more information about a specific area, such as dates closed or what firearms are permitted there. I personally have used onX and all of my waypoints are saved there but goHUNT looks like a great option as well.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always preferred the atlas. It cost $25 , I buy one every 5 years or so. Public hunting is great for bird hunters, you just have to learn where to hunt. Ducks and dove are usually good here but you want quail or pheasants I always hunt western okla as it has good pop in that part of the state.

https://oklahomaconservation.org/wma_atlas/

Latest posts

Top Bottom