How great are EV's going to be for towing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As anybody with half a brain already knows towing with an EV is not going to work out well.
Batteries are no different than a bucket of water. If you leak a little, the bucket retains water for a long time. Every time the leak gets bigger the bucket drains quicker.
Throw a load behind an F-150 EV Lightning and it's a disaster.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/top...eet-still-likes-these-3-ev-stocks/ar-AA12K4cJ

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I watched that a week or two ago when the other thread was going. I posted another where they took two identical 6000lb trailers and started pulling in Colorado with a Ford Lightning and a GMC gas powered truck. The Ford failed miserably, they were only planning on a little over 100 miles and the ford failed so bad they had to charge before turning around and giving up. I think it made it 85 miles and he was sweating calling for a tow, but he found a place to charge. 45 minutes and $27 (recharge to 75%) to go 85 miles. Gotta love it!

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ford has raised the price twice recently and people are still wanting to buy one. I don't understand.
I think the price increase was to cover the trailer and diesel generator that you towed behind it. Extension cord to leave it plugged in continuous while driving was second increase. Copper wire is expensive.

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This will never work until they make the towable full of batteries like in the chasis systems then build the rv on top of that with an umbilical cord to the tow rig to combine the power sources. Good luck keeping tires on it with that kind of weight though!

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t understand the thought process behind electric trucks. The torque is great off the line but sustained need drains the battery too quickly to make them viable for towing outside of a city. It sounds like what many folks actually use a truck for (occasional Hole Depot run, barely using the bed) but not what folks buy the trucks to be capable of. If you sold a minivan that only seats 3 people it’s pointless. Selling a truck that can barely tow is also pointless.

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would imagine there were similar comments made about the horseless carriage when it was first invented. I can only imagine the ridiculous comments made to those 2 brothers before they shut folks up at kitty hawk.
New tech has bugs.
There’s just 2 ways to rid a project of bugs, one werks em out or eats em.
Folks who don’t advance/improve themselves fall into stagnation and rot.

Jack Shootza 50

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I watched that a week or two ago when the other thread was going. I posted another where they took two identical 6000lb trailers and started pulling in Colorado with a Ford Lightning and a GMC gas powered truck. The Ford failed miserably, they were only planning on a little over 100 miles and the ford failed so bad they had to charge before turning around and giving up. I think it made it 85 miles and he was sweating calling for a tow, but he found a place to charge. 45 minutes and $27 (recharge to 75%) to go 85 miles. Gotta love it!
I read the same thing and then there is that brilliant CA governor that says "You gotta have an EV by 2030 but on the other hand you can't charge it because we don't have enough juice" This whole EV thing is just another flop scam the government is running on us to make huge profits from. I'm waiting to see how Elon's semi performs when it comes out, it's supposed to go 500 miles on a charge, fully loaded........we'll see about that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom