How great are EV's going to be for towing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like most info on EVs it's not easy to pin down a number on how much heat affects range. Read where AAA said as much as 41% decrease . But Elon disputed it and said not nearly that high. But didn't offer an alternative number.
Actually who's to say, not many people tow with a Tesla Model 3 or their SUV, Be curious as far as the Hummer, Lightning and Rivian P/U's

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw a guy the other day on Facebook trying to “dispel the myth that EVs are bad for towing”. He managed to tow his 1200lb aluminum framed teardrop trailer with his Tesla Model X and 3 people in the car a whopping 83 miles across Wisconsin before discharging 53% of his battery. Roughly. Honestly, pretty sad. Electric vehicles are pretty neat, and have their uses, but are likely decades from widespread takeover, that’s for sure. Due to the fact that I spend a lot of my time wandering around rural areas and camping in remote spots, I can’t see the logic behind getting and electric vehicle. If I had the money for a 2nd or 3rd vehicle that I exclusively used for a grocery getter/commuter, I would likely get one. Except I don’t have faith in our infrastructure, and I can make less of a “carbon footprint”, save money, and have a longer lasting vehicle just going with a small gas or diesel powered car.
The closest I am interested in right now is a hybrid pickup, the Ford PowerBoost setup specifically. Being able to plug in a small MIG welder in the bed and build fence would be awesome. Couple that with a solid enough towing capacity to get me a little more capability over my 2011 GMC 1/2 ton without driving a 3/4 ton everywhere and it fits in a really solid pocket of the market for me.

It won't happen anytime soon due to the cost of entry though. Maybe a couple more years of no truck payment will have me in a place where I am comfortable spending that kind of coin on something that depreciates.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
The closest I am interested in right now is a hybrid pickup, the Ford PowerBoost setup specifically. Being able to plug in a small MIG welder in the bed and build fence would be awesome. Couple that with a solid enough towing capacity to get me a little more capability over my 2011 GMC 1/2 ton without driving a 3/4 ton everywhere and it fits in a really solid pocket of the market for me.

It won't happen anytime soon due to the cost of entry though. Maybe a couple more years of no truck payment will have me in a place where I am comfortable spending that kind of coin on something that depreciates.
That’s the one and only thing I am excited for about electric vehicles. Having a modular power source. I think every truck should have onboard air and 110v/220v. But running the drive motor for such functions isn’t efficient or feasible, and an APU wouldn’t be cost effective for 99% of people.

Latest posts

Top Bottom