How long do you stay in the stand?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let's say hunting hours are 7:00 am to 7:30 like today. Given that you have nothing else going on, how long do you stay in the stand?

What time do you try to be in the stand completely set up and still? What time do you leave? When go you head back in the afternoon and what time do you leave?

Does it change much as the rut draws near?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How dedicated are you???

Lots of variable to consider with this question, but my answers are...
1. Arrive at least 30-45 mins before shooting light.
2. Sit as long as you can comfortably bear it, and as long as the weather conditions are in your favor. If the wind and temp is comfortable, mosquitos aren't eating me alive, I have a comfortable seat and a book or something to pacify me, I'll sit past noon, then slip out to grab lunch, heading back in around 3:00 or 3:30.
3. I sit for at least 30 mins after last shooting light before leaving. Longer if there are deer nearby. And I sneak out as quietly as I sneak in.
4. My plans DEFINITELY change during rut. I sit all day when I can, when the bucks are cruising. Again, depends on your dedication and physical endurance.

SnowCamo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I usually stroll in about 15 minutes before shooting light. Most of the time spooking off deer while getting in the stand.
I'll sit 2-3 hours in the morning before making my way back to the house for breakfast.
During the rut I'll usually sit for an hour or two in the middle of the day.
Then sit another 2-3 hours in the evening.
If I'm seeing deer and I'll sit longer. Unless it's 10 degrees with sleet hitting me in the face. Then I'm hunting from said breakfast table.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
This early in the season, if it's cool, couple hours in the morning, couple hours in the evening. We're still hunting feeding/bedding patterns this time of the year. I'll have some midday pics at the food piles, but no antlers, just doe and fawns. From about Halloween on I'll sit for as long as I can. Buck below is the biggest I've killed early. He died three days after the game cam pic, he liked to come in really early evening for whatever reason, but didn't come in until 6pm the day I shot him.
i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_IM000890_zpsc30f33d3.jpg

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_2011_10_11_18_25_32_907.jpg

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I only hunt Rifle when it's cold as Funk. Set an hour before sun up, No more than 4hrs and I got to move. Eve hunt Im set about 2-3 hrs before dark. If I had some sort of blind Im sure Id stay longer, but up in the tree in the dead of winter, Im weak.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mornings, I try to be in the stand an hour or so before daylight and stay until 9:30-10:00, and evenings, I try to be back in the stand by 4:30ish and stay until I can get out without spooking deer. Once the time changes, I try to be in the stand around 3.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mornings, I try to be in the stand an hour or so before daylight and stay until 9:30-10:00, and evenings, I try to be back in the stand by 4:30ish and stay until I can get out without spooking deer. Once the time changes, I try to be in the stand around 3.
Pretty much my schedule, except during rut. Then it's daylight to dark in the stand. I get lots of reading in during deer season.

Latest posts

Top Bottom