How long for justice to be served?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So...say someone is driving drunk and kills another person in an accident.
How long is enough for justice to be served?

The wife of a family friend was charged for this...got 15 years and was let out a few days ago after about 4 years being served.

I have pretty mixed feelings to be honest...glad for the family friend to be able to "move forward" with their life but for the victims family...I think thats far from justice.

Thoughts?

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So...say someone is driving drunk and kills another person in an accident.
How long is enough for justice to be served?

The wife of a family friend was charged for this...got 15 years and was let out a few days ago after about 4 years being served.

I have pretty mixed feelings to be honest...glad for the family friend to be able to "move forward" with their life but for the victims family...I think thats far from justice.

Thoughts?

not to sound flippant (because i don't mean it that way), but is there really ever going to be *enough* time for the victim's family? I think there will only ever be wrong answers to these sorts of questions.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats true...I guess its hard convey what I'm trying to say.

I guess its more about being let out early with less than 1/3 time served...not just this specific situation...but whats the point of tough penalties if people dont serve anywhere near that amount of time.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats true...I guess its hard convey what I'm trying to say.

I guess its more about being let out early with less than 1/3 time served...not just this specific situation...but whats the point of tough penalties if people dont serve anywhere near that amount of time.

i think i understand what you're getting at. Not to twist the issue into something you didn't intend, but i think this is an example of an overburdened system. I think there would be more efforts to keep people in for longer terms if we didn't have overcrowding, etc. Many of which are byproducts from the war on drugs, sadly.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is a touchy subject. Has your friend ever been in trouble before? I don't know if that has anything to do with it but maybe it is taken into account plus good behavior while incarcerated.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont know her past history or her personally.

I do know, the first time she was up for parole and didnt get it, she didnt understand why. I cant remember if that was after 1 or 2 years...but it was a far cry from 15. I was also told she complained about the accomodations...like it wasnt sinking in that she was there for a reason and that it wasnt supposed to be luxurious. That part frustrates me.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Holy cow. I would imagine the parole board wasn't too impressed with her flippant attitude and decided she needed a little more rehabilitation. Maybe the second time she went in front of them she acted more repentant and they decided in her favor.

Latest posts

Top Bottom