How long for justice to be served?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As for me, if I were to hit and kill someone whether they gave me 5 or 50 years I would hurt because for the rest of my life I would have to live with myself and what I had done to another. That is torture-to me at least.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Isnt a punishment and a deterrent two in the same in this instance? I dont quite understand the distinction between the two here.

I think of a deterrent as something that may prevent someone from doing something stupid or wrong. A punishment is for when someone does it anyway. I think. My emotions say she needed to be punished more than she was. Maybe that becomes a deterrent for others then. Hell I dunno, I just know it’s a damn shame when some drunk driver hurts or kills somebody. So many people suffer because of their actions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not sure "Deterent" is really effective. We have a friend that is an attorney specializing in defending DUI folks. He told me of a case of a young man that had been convicted once of a misdemeanor DUI and was arrested again for DUI. (For your information, DA's can charge a second DUI after a conviction as a felony instead of a misdemeanor.)

This young man asked our friend, why should I worry so much about it being a felony instead of a misdemeanor? When it was explained that if he was convicted of the felony, he would lose his ability to own firearms. The young man very quickly decided to agree with doing a plea deal for another misdemeanor.

I also know of a couple of people, one of whom was a beautiful young girl, that have been horrendously injured by DUI drivers, and those people have to live the rest of their lives as disabled. The young girl in mind had the possibility of being an excellent athlete.

Personally, I can't agree with giving lenient sentences with DUI offenders.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The ok correction system has lots of opportunities to get early release.
Be a good person, work within the corrections system as a cook or something, your time will be greatly reduced.
Federal time, you do the time.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The ok correction system has lots of opportunities to get early release.
Be a good person, work within the corrections system as a cook or something, your time will be greatly reduced.
Federal time, you do the time.

Overcrowding? Is this a big reason why offenders here get released early?

Edited: from some of the comments, I sense that some think I was pro early release in this situation. Not at all, I said, or meant, that I’m not sure whether or not the family of the victim feels justice was served or not. And not in just this case. Losing a loved one is no fair trade for a person convicted of a heinous act like killing someone while DUI, regardless of sentence and how much time they spend behind bars. And I agree that the threat of prison doesn’t seem to be much of a deterrent either. Maybe if such a crime carried a lengthy sentence that was not eligible for parole?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well first we'd have to have a justice system. We don't. What we have is a legal system masquerading as a justice system. Yes they do on occasion manage to deliver justice, but it's incidental to the objective of good order and fiscal concerns.

This will go right over the heads of many. The way I usually make a similar point is that true justice cannot be delivered this side of Eternity.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just pointing something out here, but the law looks at an unintentional death differently than it does a deliberate death. Whether this is the right thing to do is perhaps debatable, but it is so. It has been for long time.

From what I gather, most of you feel that this is unjust. A death is a death and those who kill should all receive the same penalty. Am I mis-reading you?

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read one of the most painful accounts recently. You probably recall the horrific murders of the Amish children at an Amish school in Pennslyvania.
The Amish way is strictly in keeping with Mark 11:25 ".....if you hold anything against anyone, forgive them, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins.”
They have built this into their culture: Before the day was over, families from the community had been calling on the wife of the murderer to let them know that they loved and forgave and wanted to support her. Meetings were arranged between the parents of the murdered children and the wife of the murderer at which they too expressed forgiveness and begged to please allow her to let them help her. She was invited to the funerals...and more.

Other examples of how their forgiveness is expressed whenever anyone is killed: Oftentimes meals are shared on a regular basis with the person who accidentally killed a family member or loved one. Victim's families sometime express the idea that surely it was God's plan to divert the driver's attention because He was calling their precious child home early to Heaven.

It is viewed as right to forgive...always.

Do not marvel at the Amish - rather marvel at God, the power of his word and how truly worthy is the Lamb of God.

Latest posts

Top Bottom