How long for justice to be served?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think one of the central questions with this case and many others is; Should we be locking up people we are mad at, or locking up people we are afraid of?

Locking someone up, at our own great expense, because we are mad at them for what they did is much different then locking up a potential re-offender at our own expense. I can think of much better ways to punish a person that I'm mad at that doesn't involve my tax dollars....or at least less of my tax dollars.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with many here this is so mixed. IMO, for the victim’s family, it’s never enough time. But, knowing at least 98% of the population have done stupid stuff, then 90% of them who drank alcohol, drove at least once at, at least close to the intoxicated level. You can only say we were truly lucky. To me however, if you are out of the youthful age, you should be mature enough to not drive after drinking. If not you should get what you deserve. How much time is deserved? How could you put a number to that? 4 years seems like a long time, but is it? Not sure.

Louro

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How many dui's is the difference between being mad at someone or being afraid of that person?

Very good question, a friend of a friend has 4 DUI's He has been lucky that he has never kill anyone. But if does kill someone I think that he should be put away for a long, long time.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How many dui's is the difference between being mad at someone or being afraid of that person?

Good question. I imagine that answer would be highly subjective depending on who you ask, especially in an Internet forum. But that question doesn’t invalidate the other question.

I’m sure there is also tons of data on DUI recidivism, and the intentional and scientific study of that data could reveal patterns and predictions with which to base punishments on vs basing them off of emotional reactions.

In Oklahoma, we lock people up at twice the national rate. We lead the world in putting people in the slammer, at a cost of like $20k per prisoner per year to the taxpayers.

Do we want to keep pumping that money into private prisons or maybe take a look to see if we can work smarter?

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good question. I imagine that answer would be highly subjective depending on who you ask, especially in an Internet forum. But that question doesn’t invalidate the other question.

I’m sure there is also tons of data on DUI recidivism, and the intentional and scientific study of that data could reveal patterns and predictions with which to base punishments on vs basing them off of emotional reactions.

In Oklahoma, we lock people up at twice the national rate. We lead the world in putting people in the slammer, at a cost of like $20k per prisoner per year to the taxpayers.

Do we want to keep pumping that money into private prisons or maybe take a look to see if we can work smarter?
Whoa! You got over my head! You're looking at the bigger picture I think?
I was looking at just this case and her history TO ME says she's had plenty of chances at being free.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just pointing something out here, but the law looks at an unintentional death differently than it does a deliberate death. Whether this is the right thing to do is perhaps debatable, but it is so. It has been for long time.

From what I gather, most of you feel that this is unjust. A death is a death and those who kill should all receive the same penalty. Am I mis-reading you?

You're misreading me. There is a wide range of crimes and penalties for the unlawful taking of a life. Your tie-rod falls off or you don't see a stop sign and you crash into another car, causing a fatality, shouldn't carry the same penalty as premeditated first degree murder.

Repeatedly driving under the influence as a middle aged person and doing so while having outstanding warrants for same, is far more willful and intentional than a pure accident. Still less than 1st degree murder, but WAY more than malfunctioning equipment or failure to yield.

Forgiveness is not a function of the law or justice. Their function is to mete out punishment. Forgiveness is the exclusive purview of the victim and/or their loved ones, not the system. In this case, 4 years is nowhere near enough.

Latest posts

Top Bottom