How long have you been without power in Oklahoma?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

austin.brown

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Like the title says how long have you been with out power in Oklahoma? Also, what were the circumstances around the power outage tornado, ice storm, etc? What did you not have that you wish you did, and what would have helped? Pretty much looking for advice for when the power goes out. I have a little girl due at the end of the year and I want to be ready for no power with an infant.

I havn't had to deal with power outages much, but I have not been around as long as a bunch of other users have.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been on East Central at 3 different house my entire life, and I've never been without power for more than 2-3 hours or so. Even in the '07 ice storm, which had most of my family and friends in the dark for periods of 7 days to well over 2 weeks. I worked with a guy in '07 that lived in Cherokee county and he was out for 30 something days. I've just had weird luck I guess.

I often sit at home during an ice storm with the wood stove going and oil lamps out hoping for my power to go out. I couldn't care less if it goes out in the winter, but a summer storm killing the a/c would be a bummer. I like it cold when I sleep.

Last edited:

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

Longest was 4.5 days in that ice storm from a few years ago. LUCKILY for me I had gotten a generator setup 2 years before and exercise it regularly. It ran my furnace and kept my house warm, lights, tv, refrigerator, freezer, microwave for hot food and a 110V counter top hot plate.

I was staring at the generator the month before this happened asking myself why I spent money on it!

Good luck,

Alan

Powerman620

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Being without power never affects me, I'm out putting up power lines when it happens. On the other hand thou my family is out and longest was 13 days during ice storm. Needs are a generator for lights at night and a supply of fuel and food for a couple weeks that can be cooked easily. Colman stove if total electric and a source of heat if winter time.

KilkennyArms

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do think it was 07 as well. We were out 53 hours. I had bought a Generac 7.5 KW stand by generator hooked up through my propane tank. We did fine on all accounts but one. I didn't know you could use 1 of the 8 circuits to run the blower for the central air and heat. I knew it wouldn't power A/C but it did power the blower. I could have had central heat at the same time. I have it wired that way now.

It is comforting to be in a situation where the power goes out and about 25 seconds later the generator kicks on and some power is available. I bought it because in clear weather in 05 during the TX vs. OU game the power went out. LIttle did I know a couple years later it would help us through an ice storm.

The generator at that time cost me $1899.00 I had it delivered poured my own pad and did the gas pipe my self. The only other cost was $500.00 for an electrician to hook it in the to circuit pannel. Best $2,500 I ever spent.

Kaw77

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
3 days in the big ice storm a few years back we have gas heat so we had hot water, stove and gas log fireplace capabilities so it wasn't all that bad - my 75 yr old parents likened it to 'camping'

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
14 days due to tornado. 6days in the ice storm. For us the Tornado was worse due to heat n humidity. Went thru a ton of ice.

Generators are nice to have for temp outages. Much over a week and even they get too expensive.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Over 3 weeks due to the ice storm we had in 2007. The rest of my neighborhood was out for about 2 weeks, but a frozen branch fell onto the power line anchored to the side of my house and it ripped it off the wall, including some of the siding as well as the electric box.

Luckily I had other places to stay, but that made me realize how important prepping is.

Latest posts

Top Bottom