How long have you been without power in Oklahoma?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RWS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
14 days without electric, 12 of those without water during the ice storm. had propane heat & cook stove so electric wasnt a big deal. water was. but i dont complain much cause a friend of mine moved his wife & kids into a tent while he built a big nice 2 story house entirely by himself. took him a couple years to build it, finished it & lived in it a year before he had electric hooked up. didnt wanna pay what they wanted to run lines that far out. he waited em out & won. he has no compassion for those of us who wine about being without power for a few weeks. lol

mythreal

Marksman
Reaction score
For us it isn't just how long but how often. We seem to loose power almost every time the wind blows. The last time was a few weeks ago when that piddly little storm came through. Ours was out for 19.5 hours. There were only 97 customers affected in another okc area and that was our two blocks. They didn't even start working on it until the next morning. Because of our frequent outrages we bought a generator several years ago. It has more than paid for itself in frozen food not spoiled.

jcman

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was without power for 12 days during the 07 ice storm, as my house is total elec ,there was nothing I could do, so loaded up the wife and kids and got them setup in a hotel''and went on a search for a generator,,ya sounds stupid to go looking for a gen during an outage,,but didn't have to search long,luckily my brother is in sales and works with a lot of the suppliers and warehouses in the tulsa area,and they called him to see if he needed one,,praise the Lord''anyway we went and bought 3 1 for my mother'myself and my brother,,8.5kw.bought 4 five gal gas cans,hooked it up to the house,was able to run the heat,lights the tv,s every thing,,was also able to run the elec water heater ,,of course I had to shut off the heat and a few other things first,,then let the water heat up which took about 15-20 mins,,then let eveyone take showers,then flip a switch on the
watr heater and and turn heat back on,,worked out quite nice,ran that way for over a week,so I keep it serviced, start it up and let it run a few times a yr.Learned a lot during that period to help next time''here is what I did to be ready.
1. 20 yr shelf life food incase stores close down,,have enough to feed entire family for months if need be.
2.water filtration system,,with these systems you can get water from a mud puddle ''lake,'pond or any other water source. For a family I would recommend a berky water system,,can be had for around $300 and is one of the best on the market.
3.battery/crank charged radio can be picked up most anywhere for little to nothing.
4.guns and ammo,,enough said
with that being said,,idealy ahouse with all gas appliances would be the best option as you would have heat,hot water and everything to survive,except lights and tv time,coal oil lamps or candles will remedy the light issue,,and a portable batt operated DVD player would help the entertainment issue.
all things mentioned above can be purchased online from the Jim bakker show,,they even offer a fueless generator,,that is solar powered,which can run lights tv and many other things,for $1900,,not a spokesman for the show,but I have ordered a lot thru them and have been fully satisfied. Just giving some direction if needed if not ignore,,lol,,just want everyone to be ready if something arises.
stay safe and God bless everyone ,,and also stay prepared.

edit** all things can be purchased on the Jim bakker show minis the guns and ammo''lol

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pedal faster! We were with out for right at seven days in early 07. Finally gave up and took all the laundry into town. When we pulled back up to the house the power was back on. God bless the lineman. They are right up there with the fireman and EMTs in my book.

Latest posts

Top Bottom