How long have you been without power in Oklahoma?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We are 12 hours without right now and it doesn't look like it's going to come back on anytime soon. The one thing I did not plan for was fuel for the generator. I filled up my 5 gal can and the 2 1/2 gal can before it hit and the generator tank was empty so there goes 6 of the 7 1/2 gal I had. Now the gas stations in town are all without power. I am going to have to venture out here in a little bit to try and find some cans and more fuel. Lesson learned and I knew better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I had 5 gal in the generator and 5 gal in a can. That will run it for about 24 hours I think. Its been 24 hours now but I only ran the gen for 3 hours yesturday then Iloaded up and went to a friends for an adult sleep over of sorts...lol. She had a diesel welder/genset on a trailer in front of her house so all was good. I learned my lesson on the fuel issue on the last ice storm 3 weeks ago or whenever it was.

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our power has been up and down for the last 2 days. It was out for 10 hours today. Until today most of the outages were less than 2 hours. We just ran the TV's, cable equipment, network, lights, and computer off a 600 watt sign wave inverter hooked up to 2 deep cycle batteries. I started the generator this morning before I went to work.

Koolhandlinc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had an outage of 11 days about 15 years ago. Back then I had a small generator. It died and I never replaced it.

So there seems to be a little info on preping for power outage here. I have 2 flash lights that plug into wall. One will come on in with a di light when it senses a power outage. I have several ore flashlights. We have an oil lamp and a gas furnace that doesn't require electric to run. We alsohave several candles in glass containers. We have used these before just to see if they work. take a plate, put 3 nickles one the plate. place the candle in the center and turn a large clay pot over it. it gets hot and will keep the room OK. So put this in the bedroom when sleeping. With the heater in the living room. We did fine. An oil lamp will make the glass hot and also put off heat as well.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's miles of poles and line on the ground......it's going to be a long time this go around.
A T-storm in 1992 knocked down 31 power poles in a row leading to our neighborhood. Utility company checked for breaks in the line, found none, and within 22 hours turned the power on with the cables laying on the ground. The poles were replaced later.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We are 12 hours without right now and it doesn't look like it's going to come back on anytime soon. The one thing I did not plan for was fuel for the generator. I filled up my 5 gal can and the 2 1/2 gal can before it hit and the generator tank was empty so there goes 6 of the 7 1/2 gal I had. Now the gas stations in town are all without power. I am going to have to venture out here in a little bit to try and find some cans and more fuel. Lesson learned and I knew better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Been there.

I usually keep at least 4 of the 5 gallon cans full.

Spring and fall I pour them into the truck and refill them.

Forgot about the refill part this time. Ooops.

Either that or three of them evaporated!!!

Dave

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A T-storm in 1992 knocked down 31 power poles in a row leading to our neighborhood. Utility company checked for breaks in the line, found none, and within 22 hours turned the power on with the cables laying on the ground. The poles were replaced later.

???? cables on the ground?

I wasn't there, but I'm betting they found a way to jumper around the cables on the ground. That would have been a huge safety issue as well as a probable short to ground.

Again, I wasn't there.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
???? cables on the ground?

I wasn't there, but I'm betting they found a way to jumper around the cables on the ground. That would have been a huge safety issue as well as a probable short to ground.

Again, I wasn't there.
The cables ran across the entrance to our neighborhood. We drove over them for several days before the poles were replaced. It was scary at first--with the car windows down, you could hear the electricity humming in the cables from 15-20 feet back of the intersection. We just drove over them until they replaced the poles.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Thought I could see our light from the highway when we arrived home from a New Years party, but I guess not..............still out and don't see any lines down between us and the neighbors a mile in either direction........called OGE, they had us as having power...not happy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom