How many backup mags do you carry?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
G43x, G48, or the Shield +
2x spare "clips"
I would be interested in hearing your comparison of those three pistols.

I carry a G48 and I can't imagine liking anything more than it but I've been curious about the Shield Plus.

I don't usually carry a spare mag even though I probably should.

Last edited:

ricco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
None

Given the time and distance of the limited situations that I would use a pistol, if the pistol stops working for any reason I won't have a chance to fix it.

Real world reloads take about 5-10 seconds if a person is well practiced. What's the bad guy going to be doing in those 5-10 seconds...........who knows maybe he'll wait.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would be interested in hearing your comparison of those three pistols.

I carry a G48 and I can't imagine liking anything more than it but I've been curious about the Shield Plus.

I don't usually carry a spare mag even though I probably should.
The G43x stock just plain sucks to shoot. VERY snappy, even with the full length grip. The trigger slap was HORRENDOUS!!!! Bought a Griffin Armament threaded barrel and Micro Comp in hopes that the Micro Comp would tame it some. It Works great and its now a pleasure to shoot. Cost $185 to make it shootable though. Lost a little bit of accuracy going from polygonal rifling to standard rifling though.

The G48 is great as is, though not a fan of the standard mags. The only mod I did to it was install a Vickers Tactical Ghost extended slide release, and a Hyve extended mag release. I have Shield Arms mags for both the 43x and 48

The shield Plus isnt great out of the box. Its a pleasure to shoot out of the box but I have a few issues with it. The trigger feels like total junk during take up but has a very clean break. Also the pivot pin for the trigger safety is also a bit low so you have to place your finger lower on the trigger than one normally would or the trigger safety wont activate. Its just something I have to train for.

The grip on the Shield Plus sucks. Im ready to quit shooting it after the 1st box of ammo. I currently have a bike innertube sleeve over the grip which isnt Ideal. Tried other grip sleeves and they make the grip too fat and squishy for me. Im thinking that in the end, I will end up sanding the grip down to a comfortable level

Shield Plus isnt as accurate as the 43x or 48 ( I have the 4in Performance Center Shield Plus ) but again, I think thats do to the polygonal rifling of the Glock barrels

In the end, the 48 is my preference. My daughter and brother both have the Shield Plus so I will occasionally (Family outings ) carry the Shield Plus

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
On duty I carry a Glock 45 with a spare mag in a mag/cuff combo paddle.

Off duty, I carry a Glock 43X in a pocket holster and a spare mag in a Galco pocket mag pouch.
Just one spare on duty? I had two on my belt and two in the car and a box of 4 hidden under the seat. But that was the 1911. For revolver I had 4 Safariland speed loaders on my belt plus a 6 round special duty ammo on my belt. 3 snake shot, 3 armor piercing.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
The G43x stock just plain sucks to shoot. VERY snappy, even with the full length grip. The trigger slap was HORRENDOUS!!!! Bought a Griffin Armament threaded barrel and Micro Comp in hopes that the Micro Comp would tame it some. It Works great and its now a pleasure to shoot. Cost $185 to make it shootable though. Lost a little bit of accuracy going from polygonal rifling to standard rifling though.

The G48 is great as is, though not a fan of the standard mags. The only mod I did to it was install a Vickers Tactical Ghost extended slide release, and a Hyve extended mag release. I have Shield Arms mags for both the 43x and 48

The shield Plus isnt great out of the box. Its a pleasure to shoot out of the box but I have a few issues with it. The trigger feels like total junk during take up but has a very clean break. Also the pivot pin for the trigger safety is also a bit low so you have to place your finger lower on the trigger than one normally would or the trigger safety wont activate. Its just something I have to train for.

The grip on the Shield Plus sucks. Im ready to quit shooting it after the 1st box of ammo. I currently have a bike innertube sleeve over the grip which isnt Ideal. Tried other grip sleeves and they make the grip too fat and squishy for me. Im thinking that in the end, I will end up sanding the grip down to a comfortable level

Shield Plus isnt as accurate as the 43x or 48 ( I have the 4in Performance Center Shield Plus ) but again, I think thats do to the polygonal rifling of the Glock barrels

In the end, the 48 is my preference. My daughter and brother both have the Shield Plus so I will occasionally (Family outings ) carry the Shield Plus
Very good. Thanks!

It sounds like I got lucky and ended up with the best of the three with the G48. I also carry the 15 round Shield Arms magazines as that was the selling point for going with the Slimline Glock for me.

Like I said, I can't imagine being any happier with a carry pistol but I am considering trying a G48 MOS with a red dot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom