How many backup mags do you carry?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
2 in a leather mag pouch on the weak side for either the Kimber 45 or the Hellcat 9. Prefer to carry the Hellcat as the mags are 15 rounds. Good grief hope I never have to use 1 much less 46 rounds. But more is better than less. A lot like the motorcycle.....I never want to be said " I never saw him" , hence all the lights added. As for the CC......I would hate to have to say "ran out of ammo" when needed.

RockHopper

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
2 is 1, and 1 is none. Glock 19 with 2 spare 21 rounders. Although I AM getting ready to drop down to a single 17 rnd spare for the rest of the summer. This Oklahoma heat is killin me.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
The G43x stock just plain sucks to shoot. VERY snappy, even with the full length grip. The trigger slap was HORRENDOUS!!!! Bought a Griffin Armament threaded barrel and Micro Comp in hopes that the Micro Comp would tame it some. It Works great and its now a pleasure to shoot. Cost $185 to make it shootable though. Lost a little bit of accuracy going from polygonal rifling to standard rifling though.

The G48 is great as is, though not a fan of the standard mags. The only mod I did to it was install a Vickers Tactical Ghost extended slide release, and a Hyve extended mag release. I have Shield Arms mags for both the 43x and 48

The shield Plus isnt great out of the box. Its a pleasure to shoot out of the box but I have a few issues with it. The trigger feels like total junk during take up but has a very clean break. Also the pivot pin for the trigger safety is also a bit low so you have to place your finger lower on the trigger than one normally would or the trigger safety wont activate. Its just something I have to train for.

The grip on the Shield Plus sucks. Im ready to quit shooting it after the 1st box of ammo. I currently have a bike innertube sleeve over the grip which isnt Ideal. Tried other grip sleeves and they make the grip too fat and squishy for me. Im thinking that in the end, I will end up sanding the grip down to a comfortable level

Shield Plus isnt as accurate as the 43x or 48 ( I have the 4in Performance Center Shield Plus ) but again, I think thats do to the polygonal rifling of the Glock barrels

In the end, the 48 is my preference. My daughter and brother both have the Shield Plus so I will occasionally (Family outings ) carry the Shield Plus

I must have got lucky because my 43x is absolutely perfect in every way.. and it’s still stock. Haven’t even switched the sites out.
I don’t have any issues with the gun being snappy. And accuracy is great with factory ammo or my reloads.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
6 rounds in a G43. I hit what I aim at and really don't need any extra mags. If theres more people than that around, I'm probably already screwed anyway.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
6 rounds in a G43. I hit what I aim at and really don't need any extra mags. If theres more people than that around, I'm probably already screwed anyway.

Most people think carrying an extra mag is for the extra rounds, which it is. But it's also handy to have one in case of a malfunction or if, under stress, you accidentally drop the mag from your pistol in the dark.

That brings up the conversation about carrying a flashlight. How many of you carry one of those on a daily basis? Most guys will say, "well, I rarely go out at night..." hey, God love ya for that, but have you ever been in the back of your local grocery store or Walmart when the power has gone out? It's darker than the inside of an ape's ass! I consider a good flashlight (Surefire, Streamlight, Olight - pick one) to be just as important (maybe more so) than a backup mag.

Are you ready?

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Most people think carrying an extra mag is for the extra rounds, which it is. But it's also handy to have one in case of a malfunction or if, under stress, you accidentally drop the mag from your pistol in the dark.

That brings up the conversation about carrying a flashlight. How many of you carry one of those on a daily basis? Most guys will say, "well, I rarely go out at night..." hey, God love ya for that, but have you ever been in the back of your local grocery store or Walmart when the power has gone out? It's darker than the inside of an ape's ass! I consider a good flashlight (Surefire, Streamlight, Olight - pick one) to be just as important (maybe more so) than a backup mag.

Are you ready?

They didn’t appreciate it when I pulled my streamlight out last time the electricity went out at the Walmart.

They Might have been mad because it was attached to my weapon though…

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Are you ready?
Most smart phones have a built in flashlight, it may not be as good as a flashlight for some purposes, but for the unexpected emergency situation it will get you by without carrying anything extra.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Are you ready?
Leaving the house without a flashlight is about as bad as leaving without my keys. I mean they are basically in a dead heat!

Last edited:

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Honestly, current environment considered, I don’t. My Glock 48 just rides with a OEM 10 round mag in, with another OEM mag and a Shield arms mag in the truck. I like the shield arms mags, but I just can’t bring myself to trust them like the OE Glock mags.

If I’m carrying a revolver I’ll typically have a speed strip in my pocket, it’s just a lot easier to carry discretely.

When things were a little more uneasy, all the riots in 2020 and such, I would carry my full size HK with 17+1 and a 21rd mag in my pocket. Also would have 2 extras in the truck with a long gun locked up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom