How many generations have you hunted with?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess most of us grew in hunting families...so how many of you have been fortunate enough to hunt with multiple generations of family?

There were a few years at the end of my great grandpas life that we had the best hunting. The birds were still pretty plentiful in their area and we would have 4 generations of Grapes out in the field. Great Grandpa, Grandpa and Uncle, Dad and myself. Great Grandpa passed shortly thereafter, uncle about 10yrs later and grandpa is not comfortable walking fields any more...so now its just my dad and I.

I got to thinking that my dad should try to get my sisters son (they live close to eachother) into it and we could get 3 generations going again which I think would be really cool.

How about you?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I came from a very liberal family that didn’t like guns. One uncle on Dads side hunted occasionally, so he took me dove hunting a couple of times before passing away when I was in my teens.
So, never had the pleasure to hunt with generations of family. Fishing was another story.
I basically read outdoor magazines and wandered the woods and fields by myself learning the way of the animals.
Later on I made sure to mentor my cousins about guns and hunting as they became of age. Several still hunt many years later.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Squirrel hunting with my dad and that's about it. Did a lot of fishing with him too.
I'm more of a city boy wannabe hunter, only hunted small game myself, didn't really have anyone close to learn from growing up, now I'm old enough that I don't fancy sitting in the cold so much.
My brother and I traipse through the woods with our .22s once in a while.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sadly both my Grandpas passed away before I really have in recollections of them. Daddy took me to a hunter safety course when I was young. He then pulled me out of school every year for a week to go hunting in Colorado or Wyoming. I had to take my class work with me. It was great! I was the only kid that got to do that at my school. About a half a dozen or so of his buddies from work would go along too as would one of my uncles. I learned real fast to get that homework done on the way up there. I also had 4 uncles that lived in SE Oklahoma so I spent my summer time and part of winter on 5000 acres hunting and swimming in/on Blue river with a bunch of cousins. Memories...wonderful memories.

Last edited:

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Both grandpas gone before I got to hunting age. Dad's father passed when he was 10. Mom's passed when I was 4. We did go check cattle together and have "coffee" afterward. He had coffee, I had milk. Father hated guns after he came back from Okinawa. He gave me all of them when I was 12 which consisted of two 22's and a Nambu with a broken firing pin. No ammo for the Nambu so it was never considered to be a candidate for repair so never fired by me. Gave it to my son last year when dad died.

College age I did get to participate with a grandpa, father and son on their land in Kansas. Had a great time. They were kinda like family but not blood relatives. I knew them for a long time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom