How many life long Okies here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Born and raised Sooner here. And here is a little history for you all. I was born and raised in a part of Oklahoma that used to be a part of texas. Old Greer County when it was part of texas. Bonus points if you know about this.
I know about it. Somebody decided the Salt Fork of the Red River wasn't actually the Red River. Or something like that. How many points do I get, and what can I use them for? :rollingla

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Outside of a few years spending my work week in Fort Worth or out of town for work, Ive been an Okie from the jump. Went to Jones Schools kindergarten through senior year and UCO for college. When I graduated, I couldnt wait to get a job anywhere but Oklahoma. Fast forward a few years of spending months at a time in Houston, Chicago, Los Angeles, St Louis, etc, and I could NOT wait to get back to Oklahoma.

While I would love to be able to buy a large plot of wild land to go hunt/fish on and escape to from time to time, I couldn't imagine anywhere making me happier to live than right here.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Born and raised Sooner here. And here is a little history for you all. I was born and raised in a part of Oklahoma that used to be a part of texas. Old Greer County when it was part of texas. Bonus points if you know about this.

The Panhandle also once "belonged" to Texas, but Texas had to relinquish it because of the Mason-Dixon line during the Civil War. According to what I remember from history, the Oklahoma Panhandle has been under six different flags over the years.

No-Man's-Land has a real meaning to us Panhandlers. Back when the government decided to redo Highway 3 from OKC to Boise City, George Nigh made a trip up there while Lt. Governor. Someone in Guymon took him out on Highway 3 north of Guymon to see just how bad the Panhandle roads really were. There was one sign for the "Northwest Passage" that was up that way, and someone had wired another sign below it that read, "Primitive Road - Travel at Your Own Risk."

Nigh was instrumental in getting the state to start the project in the Panhandle instead of starting the work in the OKC area.

So, No-Man's-Land is sometimes that even for the state of Oklahoma.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My youngest son was born and raised in Sapulpa. He'd often comment about wanting to move somewhere besides a hick town in Oklahoma, couldn't wait to get out.

He left for boot camp in 2015, did five years, then my Marine came home. He and his wife rent a place a mile from where he was born, and I went to help him get an old farm truck last weekend.

"Why a farm truck?" I asked.

"We are looking at buying some land." he replied.

I guess Oklahoma looks pretty good to him now.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My youngest son was born and raised in Sapulpa. He'd often comment about wanting to move somewhere besides a hick town in Oklahoma, couldn't wait to get out.

He left for boot camp in 2015, did five years, then my Marine came home. He and his wife rent a place a mile from where he was born, and I went to help him get an old farm truck last weekend.

"Why a farm truck?" I asked.

"We are looking at buying some land." he replied.

I guess Oklahoma looks pretty good to him now.
We know the toothbrush was invented in Creek County.

Because if it had been invented anywhere else, they would have called it a TEETH brush.

:laugh6:

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Born and raised here. Moved to Chicago for a few months when my wife left me in 98. Surprisingly I really like it there but was missing my kids and knew they needed me and my wife did too. Their Mom and I got divorced last year, but we still hang out a lot. Life is weird.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m a true “Okie from Muskogee “ birthplace anyway. Dad was a preacher and stayed mobile so I’ve resided all over Oklahoma. That’s why when I got my degree I dug in an have now lived at my present location 47 years.

Latest posts

Top Bottom