How many life long Okies here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sampson

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Transplant from UT moved here in 1982 or so, always thought the mountains were home. But it’s taking me 30 plus years to really appreciate OK for what it is. Both my kids and wife are true Okies. The mountain west is no longer home, it’s to busy and to crowded and way to expensive but most importantly it’s to blue for me. I could not live out west like I do here. I would not be able to own my farms, raise cattle, hunt and fish as I do here, cost of living is too high and land is stupid expensive out there. I’ve been here longer than any other place and I have no intentions of leaving even upon my death. And when I do they will bury me in this great state. I finally understand what it means to be an Okie.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why anyone would want to leave Oklahoma is beyond me. I've visited 44 states. Some are beautiful like the Rocky Mountains of Colorado and deserts of Arizona. The ocean breezes of Hawaii, and the snow of Boston. As I have learned though, Oklahoma has 5 areas of geography, the panhandle with it's flat expanses and sparse rolling hills. The NW with its Tall Grass prairies and breadbasket of wheat, barley and oat fields and wealth of gypsum and oil patches. The NE they call Green Country because of the bigger hills of the Ozark Plateau, high grass ranches and sparse population. The SW is more of a lower plains area and has the Wichita Mountains, some of the oldest mountains on earth and the SE is more mountainous and forested in conifers.

The Gloss Mountains west of Fairview, the Little Sahara sand dunes of Waynoka, the Salt Plains by Cherokee, The Gyp Hills by Seiling, the Alabaster Caverns by Freedom, these are just the NW part of the state.

Oklahoma has more regions per square mile than in any other state.

Latest posts

Top Bottom