How many life long Okies here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been here all my life. Born in Claremore, Oklahoma, moved to the Holdenville community in the summer of 1979. Lived a brief time (about 4 years) in Eufaula and moved back to the Holdenville/Seminole area in 2002, been here ever since.

I like Oklahoma. Sure, we get tornadoes, massive wind, rain, snow and ice storms, floods, bitter cold winters and scorching hot summers, but they only last for usually a few days to maybe a week/10 days, then it moves on. I've heard of Wisconsin winters and Arizona summers lasting for months. Our weather is ever changing. Just ask Will Rogers.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been here all my life. Born in Claremore, Oklahoma, moved to the Holdenville community in the summer of 1979. Lived a brief time (about 4 years) in Eufaula and moved back to the Holdenville/Seminole area in 2002, been here ever since.

I like Oklahoma. Sure, we get tornadoes, massive wind, rain, snow and ice storms, floods, bitter cold winters and scorching hot summers, but they only last for usually a few days to maybe a week/10 days, then it moves on. I've heard of Wisconsin winters and Arizona summers lasting for months. Our weather is ever changing. Just ask Will Rogers.

I used to get asked all the time on RV forums as to why I wanted to live in Oklahoma with all the tornadoes. I explained the number of years that I've lived here and NEVER had actual eyes on a tornado. I also explain that we have some of the best, perhaps in the world, of weather forecasters and their ability to give ample warning.

Then I ask them about hurricanes taking out lots more homes and such, earthquakes that come without any warning, not to mention the mudslides and wildfires suffered in other states.

They still think I'm crazy...

...but at least THEY aren't living here.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As a Texas-born preacher friend says: "I wasn't born in OK but I got here as quick as I could." That's basically my story, too. Born in KS, lived there through my junior year of HS, moved to OK due to dad's job transfer, graduated HS in OK, married a life-long Okie while attending OSU, graduated and went in the Army which took me to West Germany for 3 years, all OK after that for the last 40 years.

BillPenn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Born and raised here. Left for a 20 year trip. Lived in a dozen states and a few countries. They all had some really good things. The weather in Washington State is great. Fishing in upstate New York is beyond imagination. Nowhere beats the outdoor activity in Louisiana with over 600,000 acres of national Forrest. Just none of them offered near enough to keep me from moving back home.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Born and raised Sooner here. And here is a little history for you all. I was born and raised in a part of Oklahoma that used to be a part of texas. Old Greer County when it was part of texas. Bonus points if you know about this.

Latest posts

Top Bottom