How many of us could get a RAPID COVID test done TODAY?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That sure sounds off to me... there are multiple rapid tests out there, I know. But to find 32 false positives out of 100? That is essentially our entire positive rate right now. We hit 7 positive today out of 22, one I am sure will be positive by tomorrow, as his wife was positive today.

That's just one of those internet statistics I'm gonna take with a grain of salt. No test with that poor accuracy should make it through FDA approval.
Maybe a internet statistic you were talking about.
Just stating what I was told on good authority by a person in my household that is a MT and performed a lot of the testing of those 100 test they tracked.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe a internet statistic you were talking about.
Just stating what I was told on good authority by a person in my household that is a MT and performed a lot of the testing of those 100 test they tracked.

So what brand were these tests, that's what I want to know. Did they report this false positive rate to the company? How did they determine they were false positive? By comparing with comparative negative tests from the send out kits?

I'm just trying to understand, I mean I don't want to be telling all these sick people they have COVID when it's not. Considering those numbers differ drastically from those published when testing was verified by the FDA, I think we in the community should know.

<edit> I just looked it up again on ours, which is the Quidel Sofia2 and the PPA or sensitivity is published at 96.7%. I'd be very interested to follow up on these claims if it is the kit we are using. I know the local nursing homes are using some Abbott and some of another brand I don't recall offhand. Either way, I'd like to know which one was tested so bad... I know of one physician who ordered some from China a few months ago that were very bad. He lost alot of money going outside the recommended FDA testing - not suggesting this is the case at all just an anecdote.

But I would like to know more about this test.

Last edited:

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of our places uses RML . . . had 12 tests originally show up as positives the end of October. Within a couple of days they were called to say that they were false positives. I don't know why. I'm pretty sure most of our tests are the Abbott.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So what brand were these tests, that's what I want to know. Did they report this false positive rate to the company? How did they determine they were false positive? By comparing with comparative negative tests from the send out kits?

I'm just trying to understand, I mean I don't want to be telling all these sick people they have COVID when it's not. Considering those numbers differ drastically from those published when testing was verified by the FDA, I think we in the community should know.

<edit> I just looked it up again on ours, which is the Quidel Sofia2 and the PPA or sensitivity is published at 96.7%. I'd be very interested to follow up on these claims if it is the kit we are using. I know the local nursing homes are using some Abbott and some of another brand I don't recall offhand. Either way, I'd like to know which one was tested so bad... I know of one physician who ordered some from China a few months ago that were very bad. He lost alot of money going outside the recommended FDA testing - not suggesting this is the case at all just an anecdote.

But I would like to know more about this test.
They were using a Abbott test dont know which one specifically( I had to ask). They were compared to the send out test and if there was a discrepancy they were retested with a send out to labcor and some with a antibodies test I was told.
It was reported to Abbott and weeks later they told them to throw that specific lot # away and they would replace the unused ones. Which I was told they had already used all of them. To their
aggravation some of these were reported as positive cases. Just saying what I was told.
Defective test probably but the stats were correct. I cannot make a arguement technically about it cause I'm not in that field and dont claim to be. You sound like that is your profession and are well versed in it and I dont have the personal expertise to object nor was that my intent.
Ps: if I sound on the offense not intended toward anyone just had a argument with my boss and that's the way I get when I'm pissed.

Last edited:

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is a valid question. Why are some tests, rapid or send away, returning a positive and two or three days later the same test is negative?

Isn't this Covid thingy like being pregnant? You either are or aren't.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is a valid question. Why are some tests, rapid or send away, returning a positive and two or three days later the same test is negative?

Simple answer is two different test. One shows almost instant results within a hour, the ones they send away are a little more complex and more accurate is my understanding. They used the send away for double verification after hearing about issues with some rapid test. Most labs do not have the equipment for the more complex test so they are sent to a company like labcor who does testing for hundreds of hospitals. This is why they may take days for test results to be processed.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
They were using a Abbott test dont know which one specifically( I had to ask). They were compared to the send out test and if there was a discrepancy they were retested with a send out to labcor and some with a antibodies test I was told.
It was reported to Abbott and weeks later they told them to throw that specific lot # away and they would replace the unused ones. Which I was told they had already used all of them. To their
aggravation some of these were reported as positive cases. Just saying what I was told.
Defective test probably but the stats were correct. I cannot make a arguement technically about it cause I'm not in that field and dont claim to be. You sound like that is your profession and are well versed in it and I dont have the personal expertise to object nor was that my intent.
Ps: if I sound on the offense not intended toward anyone just had a argument with my boss and that's the way I get when I'm pissed.

Not at all, as Abbott is the company we were waiting on to provide their tests, as well. It is likely we will use their tests as well when they are available. I had 2 positives back in July I was questioning and to tell you the truth, I am not sure if they used the Abbott but I am going to inquire. A 'bad lot' was what went through my mind, too, given the numbers you related. Of course, testing methodology and confimation are always big questions with that stuff.

I can't answer that too well - lots of variables in testing. As in dozens. A false positive is always a possibility, yes.

However, with a potentially deadly disease, false positives are something you live with before false negatives, from a public health standpoint. False negatives contribute to a worsening spread - like some of the people who come to me and say they need a negative test to go back to work after being exposed so they don't have to quarantine.

Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom