How many train derailments in 2023 ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roadrunner70

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yay! You're a winner! Like Bobby Bare

I really appreciate your willingness to condescend to give me the benefit of the doubt...your benevolence is magnanimous and your arrogance is boundless, lol. But you're still a winner

Ha, anyway, the data I showed is correct for the two values I set - Derailments and calendar years. Everything else is default. Not cherry picked, but I said I would look at the last 20 years and picked the last 20 years and the single type of accident - Derailments.

Going into the default values, the SMT groupings (Safety Management Teams) are default to: Unspecified, Norfolk Southern, BNSF, and CSX. That less than half of the SMTs. When you click all, you get 30,451 which averages to 1522 & change.

Now for real info that you can skew however you see fit in order to be a winner or not.

Of the 49 states (Hawaii doesn't have choo choo trains so they aren't even on the list), 7 have over 1000 derailments in 20 years. The other 42 states are under 1000 derailments in 20 years. Not under a thousand per year, under a thousand in 20 years.

The 7 offending states account for just >40% of all the derailments in the last twenty years. The others are just south of 60%...no polling or VA math. 7 states - 12,304 derailments 40.4%; 42 states - 18,147 derailments 59.6% (18148 when you run the table)
If you exclude the big 7, it's 907 avg per year (42 states). Maybe we should take away their choo choo trains coz they obviously can't handle them.

Now, your 1400# was just arbitrary and I don't think you had any real number. You even said so and surprised the sh*t out of yourself that the stats matched up or were greater than your number you plugged. 👍 You did win because you got the gooder guess so we can give you a pat on the back.

My lookup was for 20 years from 2022, not 31 years from 2021. It skews the data. It shows an average of ~200 less per year in the last 20 years than the additional 13ish years you added to skew the data to get you a more favorable number. Winner! 👏

But I don't think you were cherry picking, it was probably just a mistake not to compare the same timeframe.

You have to save the excel as a PDF...figured you knew that, everyone else does.
Damn did ya get your panties in a wad? The whole I win thing...you can't figure out it wasn't so serious? You call me arrogant when I just knew more about the subject than you and knew about the average number of derailments per year over the last 20yrs. Far from a good guesser. lol. I just happen to have family in the train business and the Ohio derailment sparked questions to said family. I was told by them that 1400ish derailments per year since 1990s. Which again I was more on par compared to you. Didn't think I'd have to give an exact number for you to do a simple internet search and find out I was pretty much on the money. But you got your panties in a wad and tried and failed to prove me wrong. Arrogant...na just more knowledge on the subject. But you want arrogant? Fine I'll play this game. Get ready...But seriously thank you for taking the bait. Here we go!!

Going into the default values, the SMT groupings (Safety Management Teams) are default to: Unspecified, Norfolk Southern, BNSF, and CSX. That less than half of the SMTs. When you click all, you get 30,451 which averages to 1522 & change.

Here, you even corrected your mistake after I did it for you, the 30.821, average of 1522ish. Again....so you admit your number were wrong? Had you paid attention to my reply to TerryMiller, you would of seen I corrected your mistake of not selecting "All" train companies/systems in the attachment file I uploaded. But not paying attention to all the replies and attachments, you literally just proved me right and your initial 729ish statement wrong. You stuck with the Default values...rookie mistake. But you again won't just admit you screwed up.

"Of the 49 states (Hawaii doesn't have choo choo trains so they aren't even on the list), 7 have over 1000 derailments in 20 years. The other 42 states are under 1000 derailments in 20 years. Not under a thousand per year, under a thousand in 20 years.

The 7 offending states account for just >40% of all the derailments in the last twenty years. The others are just south of 60%...no polling or VA math. 7 states - 12,304 derailments 40.4%; 42 states - 18,147 derailments 59.6% (18148 when you run the table)
If you exclude the big 7, it's 907 avg per year (42 states). Maybe we should take away their choo choo trains coz they obviously can't handle them."

what-huh.gif

huh-meme.gif

Irrelevant statement. No one mentioned derailment by state, only I mentioned it on a national collective level. So all this bs is just a waste. But, why would you exclude the "big 7" states????? You this desperate to try and prove me wrong that at no point in time have we, as a nation (because hint hint that is what the conversation is about and noone but you brought up the difference in states derailments till this pointless statement) we have NEVER HAD UNDER 1000 DERAILMENTS PER YEAR IN THE NATION AS A WHOLE!!!! All of which can be found off the Bureau of Transport Statistics database and the 1st attachment I posted before.
Only reason you put this waste of time with this pointless statement is desperation to try prove anything I said as wrong. Not sure why you even try when its all right there in the screenshots.

"Now, your 1400# was just arbitrary and I don't think you had any real number. You even said so and surprised the sh*t out of yourself that the stats matched up or were greater than your number you plugged. 👍 You did win because you got the gooder guess so we can give you a pat on the back."

If you think my "guess" was so arbitrary...how was I far closer to the actual number than you were when you took so much time to go to the FRA database. F up your search criteria and still got no where close to the correct average? Says alot about you...Imagine having an actual number...that turns out wrong (which is super hilarious and embarrassing lol)...and the "guesser" was extremely close to the correct number. Its almost like the "guesser" knew more about the subject than you...hmmm. Tells me you just wanted to look correct and "smart" but any 5th grader could taking 2 seconds internet search to find out your number was wrong. Sorry...you are not smarter than a 5th grader.

"My lookup was for 20 years from 2022, not 31 years from 2021. It skews the data. It shows an average of ~200 less per year in the last 20 years than the additional 13ish years you added to skew the data to get you a more favorable number. Winner!"

The 1700ish number is from 31 year search.... but my initial number of 1400 was for 20 years. Whether it was 1700ish or 1522ish...you were so far off you were wrong either way. Either of the actual numbers from whichever timeframe I still was closer going of a memory while you weren't even close going through all that trouble of looking this up on the FRA database, and getting less than half of the actual average of derailments per year over 20yr period. This statement doesn't even help you...Why bring it up at all? It's pointless....pretty sure when I attached that png file in response to TerryMiller (and corrected your lack of selecting "All" under "Railroad") you could of realized then that my 1400 was far more on par and conceded that I was indeed correct, or at least FAR closer than your messed up attempt at getting an actual average, and you didn't select all the railroads, made a mistake. Just say "Hey Roadrunner, I screwed up in my research and got the wrong average." But ya didn't. Hey. some people are just oblivious and desperate to win debates even at their own peril.

Just admit, not only did you screw up on you using the Default Railroad selections,"729ish" statement you conveniently left out ALL the railroads on, you doubled downed and cherry picked the difference in number of derailments by state to try and...prove me wrong....how I still do not know. We were talking collectively, you for some really odd reason went the selective route. You are playing sticks and stones when we are all playing 3D chess...It's just mind boggling you went so far left field you went out of the ball park lol. This whole response of yours....I'm convinced you just don't want to admit you were wrong and basically responded with...well...nothing of value.

Your original statement which was proven incorrect:

Off by almost, not quite, but almost half.
From 2003 to 2022 there were 14,598 derailments according to USDOT Federal Railroad Administration. I plugged those date because the USG uses calendars correctly by doing crazy things like JAN 2003 to DEC 2022 which means it really 20 years.
This is a real source in case the sheeps are skird. AVG is 729ish per year.

Again. half your data is missing but magically you fixed it in you next reply:

I did know you screwed up on your inputs when you gathered this data. I wanted to see if you catch your mistake in your reply or if you would reply and double down while inserting the correct number...which you did exactly that.
You fell for my trap.

dancing-boy-cowboy.gif

Next time just do a quick 2 second search of the internet and read some news articles before you go into a database that you can't even operate correctly, and get data that is only half of the data available and come to the conclusion your right and the person you are trying to prove wrong....turns out to be right anyway. It's just embarrassing honestly. Or just assume I am right and save us both time and prevent yourself from looking like a fool. Call me arrogant when I am just right about this....right is just that....right. Sure as sh*t doesn't make me arrogant. Now you....you are the are the one who was wrong...yet still thinks they are right and try to slyly sneek in the correct number like you didn't screw up the first time and think I wouldn't notice...now that...is the epitome of arrogance. lol...please. Wish I could say I destroyed you in this wannabe debate, but in reality I didn't need to. You destroyed yourself.

played.gif

Here. Ill hold your hand for ya:
Why Train Derailments Are More Common Than You Think
Yes, the US averages more than 1,700 train derailments a year

This whole "debate," if you can even call it that, I feel like Larry Bird when the opponent teams coach decides to put in a Rookie Dennis Rodman to try and guard Larry Bird. Even the best couldn't guard Larry Bird...and you put in a Rookie?? It's just stupid...
So ya...guess I am the Winner, and you are the not so Secret Loser. But hey, some people can't admit when they make mistakes and admit that someone else other than themselves was right. Makes people think you are a ***cough cough Feminist and a Democrat***
Learn to be humble Rookie Dennis Rodman because when you are facing a Veteran Larry Bird, you will do nothing but fall into his traps.

Deuces!!! Larry Bird...OUT!

shooting-threes.gif

You were Fighting a losing battle, Pretending to win, but in reality you are just a.....

got-em-lmao.gif

emotional-damage.gif

Last edited:

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Now you definitely win! Great job! You even put in everything in bold and included gifs in self appropriate places. A++++ triggered! You should receive the Francis award.

Bobby Bare would be proud

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It wouldn't surprise me if Antifa and other similar misfit groups create problems throughout the country in the coming months-before Biden leaves office, we've let so many illegals, spies, terrorists in that we are vulnerable to anything. Luckily. we have Biden so not to worry. He has a firm grip on the situation.

Latest posts

Top Bottom