How much capacity is enough?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shoot what you carry, carry what you shoot.

I have 4 guns in my carry rotation and they go to the range with me every time I go. Capacity ranges from 6+1 to 14+1 but to me capacity takes a back seat to something I'm comfortable with and can shoot well.
I carry wheelguns because I shoot them better than other types of handguns.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
6 rounds is enough, until it isn't.

^^^ This.

I sold all my pocket revos specifically for capacity and ease of reloading of autos. I had to sell them because I'd be carrying them if I didn't. They are just too easy to slip in a pocket holster and go.

I went from 5 rounds and tortoise slow reloads to 8 or 9 rounds (depending on which mag I have in the gun) in the gun and a much faster reload. For me this is the bare minimum, we live in the day and age of multiple attackers. The days of 5 or 6 rounds of .357 magnum being plenty are sadly gone. A 9mm Shield is my bare minimum these days and I carry a full size 9mm or .357 Sig often. Always have an extra mag full of ammo in the pocket not necessarily for the ammo but in case of malfunction.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
^^^ This.

I sold all my pocket revos specifically for capacity and ease of reloading of autos. I had to sell them because I'd be carrying them if I didn't. They are just too easy to slip in a pocket holster and go.

I went from 5 rounds and tortoise slow reloads to 8 or 9 rounds (depending on which mag I have in the gun) in the gun and a much faster reload. For me this is the bare minimum, we live in the day and age of multiple attackers. The days of 5 or 6 rounds of .357 magnum being plenty are sadly gone. A 9mm Shield is my bare minimum these days and I carry a full size 9mm or .357 Sig often. Always have an extra mag full of ammo in the pocket not necessarily for the ammo but in case of malfunction.
In general, how do you like the Shield?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In general, how do you like the Shield?

For a small gun? I love it. It's a gun I can shoot and not worry about longevity. It's constructed just like the full size guns just on a smaller scale, has good steel sights, not the automatic throwaways of Glock. And they actually have better triggers than the full size guns out of the box.

I just picked one up for the wife, so that makes two now. With the current pricing and rebate I had to grab another.

Edit: I will say this, I would only consider one in 9mm (remember that capacity thing?). The .45s are about the same width as a M&P45C so why not just get the 45C? .40? Meh...

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For a small gun? I love it. It's a gun I can shoot and not worry about longevity. It's constructed just like the full size guns just on a smaller scale, has good steel sights, not the automatic throwaways of Glock. And they actually have better triggers than the full size guns out of the box.

I just picked one up for the wife, so that makes two now. With the current pricing and rebate I had to grab another.

Edit: I will say this, I would only consider one in 9mm (remember that capacity thing?). The .45s are about the same width as a M&P45C so why not just get the 45C? .40? Meh...
I have a PM9 for that role. But with the current price of the Shield, I'm tempted. It would be 9mm, for sure.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The video pointed out that the skill/training of the defensive shooter made the MOST difference in success.
Reminds me of a question I heard Roger Brown ask:
"Is your gun a weapon or a magic talisman?"

Latest posts

Top Bottom