How much capacity is enough?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You guys who are talking about multiple attackers...do you really have a reasonable expectation you can win a gunfight with 5, 4, 3...even 2 bad guys? I mean, just because you have plenty of ammo in your carry gun and a spare mag or two, what do you think those bad guys are gonna do? Stand there like bowling pins waiting for you to shoot them? No; in all likelihood it will not happen, and if you do get into a fight with a group of thugs, you may shoot 1 and the rest scatter like leaves in the wind. You hope. But if that group is determined to kill you, you will probably die. Sure, you may get 1 of them, but then you take a shot to say...your weak arm. Ouch! ****, that hurts like hell! Then you manage to shoot a second bad guy; the rest disperse and now you are in the reload mode, but your weak arm doesn't function as you've trained it to do...up **** creek without a paddle, you think...then you have take another round in the gut; and you think your arm hurt before? That's nothing like being gutshot. And as you collapse from shock and the rounds are coming in, your last thought is crap, I wish I'd left the mall (bank, restaurant, grocery store, donut shop, etc. a bit earlier but oh no; I wandered into this gunfight thinking my high cap pistol would save my butt and now you're lying there bleeding out as the thugs rifle your wallet and take the $11.00 bucks and the old girlfriend's picture you got in there.
So now what are ya gonna say? Is 6+1 enough? Is 15+1 better? Who knows the right answer? None of us. We all make decisions on what we carry, and when and where we go. I still say our best bet is to stay aware, and stay in good shape so you can run like hell to avoid that gunfight in the first place if you can. But all things considered, I'd take the G19 with 15+1 and a spare mag and count myself to be as well armed as I can be in this environment. But hey; I'm a new operator to this theater so what do I I know anyway?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It depends on individual circumstances.

A recently divorced woman with a VPO against a threatening ex is well armed against that threat even with a 5 shot j frame.
That's especially true if she practices and is proficient with that j frame.
Close quarters with one assailant.

That same woman would be badly under armed if she was involved in the San Bernardino attack.

Evaluate the most probable threat and prepare accordingly.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You guys who are talking about multiple attackers...do you really have a reasonable expectation you can win a gunfight with 5, 4, 3...even 2 bad guys? I mean, just because you have plenty of ammo in your carry gun and a spare mag or two, what do you think those bad guys are gonna do do? Stand there like bowling pins waiting for you to shoot them? No; in all likelihood it will not happen, and if you do get into a fight with a group of thugs, you may shoot 1 and the rest scatter like leaves in the wind. You hope. But if that group is determined to kill you, you will probably die. Sure, you may get 1 of them, but then you take a shot to say...your weak arm. Ouch! ****, that hurts like hell! Then you manage to shoot a second bad guy; the rest disperse and now you are in the reload mode, but your weak arm doesn't function as you've trained it to do...up **** creek without a paddle, you think...then you have take another round in the gut; and you think your arm hurt before? That's nothing like being gutshot. And as you collapse from shock and the rounds are coming in, your last thought is crap, I wish I'd left the mall (bank, restaurant, grocery store, donut shop, etc. a bit earlier but oh no; I wandered into this gunfight thinking my high cap pistol would save my butt and now you're lying there bleeding out as the thugs rifle your wallet and take the $11.00 bucks and the old girlfriend's picture you got in there.
So now what are ya gonna say? Is 6+1 enough? Is 15+1 better? Who knows the right answer? None of us. We all make decisions on what we carry, and when and where we go. I still say our best bet is to stay aware, and stay in good shape so you can run like hell to avoid that gunfight in the first place if you can. But all things considered, I'd take the G19 with 15+1 and a spare mag and count myself to be as well armed as I can be in this environment. But hey; I'm a new operator to this theater so what do I I know anyway?

well said

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't go out into the world with the anticipation of facing down a mob even though some have had to experience this. Reginald Denny comes to mind, but he was unarmed.
We have all seen the video's and read the reports of drug crazed or just adrenalin enraged shooters that took multiple rounds without seeming to be hit at all.
That's what I prepare for, and not fighting off a mob. If I walk around a corner and see a mob, I'm running the other way.
If in a parking lot, or cornered at close quarters, and you can't run, (99.9% can't hit a moving target) I want capacity. Not only to stand there like a new to the theater operator and shoot it out, its because I'm going to be blazing rounds and in reality, some are going to miss because of the heightened stress levels and having to adjust the aim downward as my shorts will be filling with crap pulling my aim up with the additional weight in the rear!
Seriously, when shooting USPSA, you're only facing the clock for pressure, and the clock doesn't shoot back. You would be amazed at how many highly experienced shooters miss a man sized silhouette target at 5 yards or sometimes less while trying to shoot fast, run on loose surfaces, etc. It's no different from the real world except the target has a gun and is shooting at you too.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a PM9 for that role. But with the current price of the Shield, I'm tempted. It would be 9mm, for sure.

I hope it's mags are better than my CW9s were. I had two different CW9s, loved that trigger design and feel. But the mag followers kept breaking after only loading a few times. :pissed: In all honestly the guns still ran but I would never carry a gun with a broken mag follower for defense knowingly. And the plastic rails, though never problematic, just didn't sway me to put a lot of rounds through it. With the Shield I have none of those worries. I have over 1000 rounds through mine and I consider it almost broke in. :D I make it a point now to run a few mags through it every time I hit the range.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You guys who are talking about multiple attackers...do you really have a reasonable expectation you can win a gunfight with 5, 4, 3...even 2 bad guys? I mean, just because you have plenty of ammo in your carry gun and a spare mag or two, what do you think those bad guys are gonna do do? Stand there like bowling pins waiting for you to shoot them? No; in all likelihood it will not happen, and if you do get into a fight with a group of thugs, you may shoot 1 and the rest scatter like leaves in the wind. You hope. But if that group is determined to kill you, you will probably die. Sure, you may get 1 of them, but then you take a shot to say...your weak arm. Ouch! ****, that hurts like hell! Then you manage to shoot a second bad guy; the rest disperse and now you are in the reload mode, but your weak arm doesn't function as you've trained it to do...up **** creek without a paddle, you think...then you have take another round in the gut; and you think your arm hurt before? That's nothing like being gutshot. And as you collapse from shock and the rounds are coming in, your last thought is crap, I wish I'd left the mall (bank, restaurant, grocery store, donut shop, etc. a bit earlier but oh no; I wandered into this gunfight thinking my high cap pistol would save my butt and now you're lying there bleeding out as the thugs rifle your wallet and take the $11.00 bucks and the old girlfriend's picture you got in there.

What says they have guns? I know a guy that was accosted at a big box store's parking lot by a guy with a hammer and a friend. Mag capacity didn't matter in that case but you get my point. And if a group is determined to kill us what difference does it make at all?

The bolded part is the best weapon there is. I'm too old to outrun most any attacker but I'll try if given the chance. If I can't or I don't get to try, I want ammo!

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
upload_2017-6-8_22-3-9.jpeg

This ^^^^^, heck with bullets.

Latest posts

Top Bottom