How much does your zero vary?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gotcha. I have found the precision between 77 nosler custom comp and 77 SMK to be almost identical. However, with the same load parameters, and only changing the bullets, then the SMK's are consistently about 1 inch low and 1.5 inches right of my zero with the noslers at 100 yards.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Didn't get to be real in depth this weekend, but did find one thing cool out. I zeroed for 33 yards with my 75 grain swift sciroccos using the small aperture. This made my 55 grain fmjs shoot a couple inches low. At 100 yards my hunting load is a bit high (as expected) but if I switch to the larger aperture and shoot plinking ammo, it is basically zeroed for that.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You will need to shoot each brand to check POI. There is no other way

And at the actual distances. Not 33yard zero and then use a calculator. Until you shoot a given load to a given distance, you are just guessing. And quite frankly, based on a 33yard zero, your guess could be wildly wrong.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
And at the actual distances. Not 33yard zero and then use a calculator. Until you shoot a given load to a given distance, you are just guessing. And quite frankly, based on a 33yard zero, your guess could be wildly wrong.
This is the plan. That being said, if I zero at 33, and then shoot at 100 and the bullet is doing what the calculator says it should be doing, I would say I am no longer "just guessing". I have established two specific points that agree with the calculator and have now a begun to establish that the two are in sync.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is the plan. That being said, if I zero at 33, and then shoot at 100 and the bullet is doing what the calculator says it should be doing, I would say I am no longer "just guessing". I have established two specific points that agree with the calculator and have now a begun to establish that the two are in sync.

Sure but to think that you can use those two data points, even with accurate chrono data and an accurate ballistic calculator isn't going to truly work at longer distances (500-600 yards and beyond).

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Sure but to think that you can use those two data points, even with accurate chrono data and an accurate ballistic calculator isn't going to truly work at longer distances (500-600 yards and beyond).

Not arguing that point, and not trying to start an argument. However I have used the same practice to make first round hits at 500. You must make sure sight hight over bore and other inputs are correct. I would not recommend someone use that to hunt at those distances without confirming the data. I just don't want to make people think the calculators are not very good tools. I use Shooter and love it.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To me any rounds hit at 500 and you are probably pretty well up on your game.
I have no idea how big the target is but 500 is getting out there, especially if you have to deal with Oklahoma winds.
good job.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
To me any rounds hit at 500 and you are probably pretty well up on your game.
I have no idea how big the target is but 500 is getting out there, especially if you have to deal with Oklahoma winds.
good job.
The example I was referring to was with a .308. And yeah the wind was crazy that day, 12-15 mph, ten inch plate....

Latest posts

Top Bottom