How much does your zero vary?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a quick calculation of 33 yd zero and moa accuracy, and close to 5 inch high @150-200 yds. Equals shot placement approx. up to 6" high 150-200 yds. Im not suggesting this kind of sight-in, but if that is all I had to work with I would use something closer to 38-40 yard zero.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Just a quick calculation of 33 yd zero and moa accuracy, and close to 5 inch high @150-200 yds. Equals shot placement approx. up to 6" high 150-200 yds. Im not suggesting this kind of sight-in, but if that is all I had to work with I would use something closer to 38-40 yard zero.
My zero is based on the bullet I am using and the chrono data combined with the specific bullet info.....

tapatalk.imageshack.com_v2_14_10_08_3268a7679833b1db423842c9c500fe72.jpg

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the video why on the 3rd dummy does bullet hit so high @50. Wouldnt his 50 yd shot be lower than what he shows. I dont have a iron sight ar. Maybe his sight height is alot lower than might scoped ar.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My zero is based on the bullet I am using and the chrono data combined with the specific bullet info.....
what sight height cal did you use
From what I read online, the sight hight over bore for an A4 removeable carry handle is 2.8. That is the figure I used. It is amazing how much a single tenth of an inch will change things, which again is why I agree the zero needs to be tested.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is a video, showing the different "zeroes" I used a ballistic app and the chrono info from my hunting load to determine the 33 yard zero. With my iron sighted AR and hunting load that keeps the bullet within 5 inches of my irons all the way to 300. Should be good for yotes and deer that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9oXGT55cV8
He has 3rd dummy as 100 yd zero. I think its suppose to be 300 yd zero on that one.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is a video, showing the different "zeroes" I used a ballistic app and the chrono info from my hunting load to determine the 33 yard zero. With my iron sighted AR and hunting load that keeps the bullet within 5 inches of my irons all the way to 300. Should be good for yotes and deer that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9oXGT55cV8

Leave the youtube videos to the couch potatoes and gather your actual dope from field trials

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I pretty much have to agree with this.
I have used Ballistic tables to get on paper at long range, but your right, there is nothing better than actual time at the range.

I agree with your agreeal

I still use ballistic apps as well. Any app one uses should be able to have certain parameters edited due to things like your scope not tracking properly. But this data is gathered through field testing at different ranges. Having a portable whether station is nice or being able to gather atmospheric conditions via the app is okay as well.

If what the Op is doing here, what we called battle field zero in the Corps (hit an area out to a certain range) is the desired result I wouldn’t rely on it for shooting animals of any kind. That’s being lazy in my book. Being able to hit a “spot” on an animal or target at different ranges takes time at the reloading bench (usually) and field testing and verifying.

My son shoots a box stock Savage Predator Max 1 in 260 and he’s as comfortable shooting 500yds as he is 100.

Practice, practice, and more practice is the key and you’ll never learn it shooting 33yds then 100yds then using a ballistic app to show you what’s happening? at 300.

Trust the bullet not the app, fore the bullet never lies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom